Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod and reel combos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod and reel combos

What would be the best rod and reel combo for most all crappie fishing situations? I will be buying 3 rods and reels for wife and 3 for me. Like to keep per rod cost to under $150. I have always used bait cast reels because every time I use spin cast it knots up and fishing is done for day with that reel. I will need to learn same as wife but also any good closed faced spinning reel ideas great too please

Post Thanks / Like

for fishing around heavey brush i like a 10ft bucks jiging pole with a bps crappie max signature series.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great luck with this spinning combo from Eagle Claw: Gander Mountain® > Eagle Claw Powerlight Spinning Combo 66 Medium Light - Fishing > Rod & Reel Combos > Spinning Combos :

It's a 6'6" medium light rod and a size 20 reel. The tip is pretty fast but it's got plenty of backbone for the times you catch a bass or pike by mistake I use mine for trolling and casting; great for both. Of course, it doesn't have the reach of an 8-12 ft jigging rod (not an issue for me because my home lake doesn't offer many jigging opportunities).

The complete combo is only $39.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy1 View Post
    Like to keep per rod cost to under $150.

You want spinning reels??
    For $150 each set-up I would piece together the equipment not buy a "combo"

REELS-Shimano StradicFI for $120 get 2 and a Pflueger President for $60}{RODS- B&M Samm Heaton 9' for $50 get 3 total = $450

STRADICS are very nice reels
    The Presidents are nice reels so if wanted to save a bit get 3 Presidents.

Post Thanks / Like

The question you are asking is like a mechanic saying he wants to fix cars with just a crescent wrench! There are so many different techniques and circumstanses that one or even three different set ups won't do the job.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What Feelay says is spot on. there are many different presentations and styles of fishing. Being as you're experience is limited, I would advise you to do several things. The first is to handle many rods and reels before you lay down the first nickel. If the price doesn't bother you, the Phleuger President reel in the 2000 series will do everything you will want to do in the realm of Crappie Fishing. At about $60 each they aren't cheap but not the top of the line either. On those would go 6lb Hi-Vis line of your choice of mfg. This allows you to see strikes that aren't felt, and this happens alot. Now to rods. There are so many for different purposes and presentations that I can't begin to say one would cover all of them. However, you must start somewhere, and I will put you on an inexpensive rod to get you off the ground and begin the education. At Wally World, you will find a Shakespeare micro graphite for about $18, in a 7' lite action. Casting, floats, deep jigging, and trolling can all be done with this. As you learn to fish you will develop a style by applying pieces of info from others, and then get the appropriate rods to do that. I have had 4 of these over the years and only broken by my own neglect, and still have 2 that I use regular. I have longer and shorter and stiffer rods, but those will do most of it. Welcome to the forum, and have fun in the learning process.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with skeetbum and freelay, start out with some basic setups and then upgrade as you learn what style style crappie fishing you want to do.

Welcome to the site.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner rods and Pflueger Spinning reels in the 25 series .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiejgr View Post
    Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner rods and Pflueger Spinning reels in the 25 series .
    I'll see you, and raise. G-Loomis GLX Microline Rod and a Shimano Sustain.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

the rod skeetbum mention is one I have on the boat most of the time, but I use a quantum snapshot ss1 on these rods. I use this rod for longlining with the quantum ss1 reel with 6lb hi vis line. this reel has a small extension or trigger that you use to open the bail of the reel instead of using the opposite hand. You can basically cast this set up one handed if desired which is what I do. This set up is good for longlining imo and have used this set up for several years, with no desire to change it up. I also use a wallyworld Cherrywood 7 footer med action with the same reel & line depending on my mood. The Cherrywood is a bit stiffer but I can still feel a hit if I happen to be holding the rod instead of it being in the rod holder. These are about $22, so you don't have to spend a wad of $$ on a decent rod to catch fish unless you just want to. The fish can't tell the difference anyways.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast