Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: BEST tough small inflatable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default BEST tough small inflatable?

I weigh about 350 and this would be just for me, fishing ponds/creeks. Could yall suggestion something?

thanks

flymoron

Post Thanks / Like

AIRE Lynx II but it is a wet ride, just use one seat. AIRE Traveler will work too, just much slower and slightly tougher to turn. Traveler will be fine if your mostly drifting or fishing small ponds. Small lakes or doing lots of paddling while on the rivers, go with the LynxII. Hard to beat AIRE's 10 year warranty. Also you may want to look at Outcast Pac1100 (Aire's sister company) if your looking more at pontoons. Tougher to transport with the frame and it's bulk and weight.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Are you wanting inflatable to carry in or ...? Often times inflatables are not much lighter than a hard boat (kayak/canoe).

Post Thanks / Like

yes carry,no more than about 100yds, something probably lighter than 35 lbs or so

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
    I weigh about 350 and this would be just for me, fishing ponds/creeks. Could yall suggestion something?

thanks

flymoron

The Aire boats that bfish mentioned are definitely good options, looked at them myself before I bought my first Inflatable kayak (IK). here are my two inflatables at the moment:

Name:  P6110306.jpg
Views: 25855
Size:  62.0 KB

The one on the left is my Sea Eagle 380x......the one on the right is an Intex mariner 4.

I would urge you to look into the Sea Eagle line of products before you buy.....they are a great value compared to any other IK out there, and they have a large selection of kayaks, canoes, rafts, catamarans etc.....

IMO Sea Eagle, Aire and NRS make the best/toughest inflatables around. As far as IK's I would suggest the Sea Eagle 380x or the Fastrack 385.

A quick breakdown of what I consider the main things to consider in an IK (I'll inlcude my Intex since I know most the specs):

Name:  comparison.jpg
Views: 4043
Size:  13.7 KB

*I think it is important to note that you can save $100 by getting a "used" hull with the same warranty AND the Sea Eagles come with paddles and pump, where the aires/ NRSs don't as far as I know

I also don't know if you can close the self bailing valves in these aires...In my experience they were always open (but mine were always from a Whitewater outfitter).......you can close them in the sea eagles

I got a used hull, so for me the extra $600-$1200 for the Aire was not worth the money considering the only real benefit was the 10 year warranty...although that is a great warranty. Inflatables can be fixed easily and cheaply. If I was going to spend more on something other than a Sea Eagle....I would look into NRS......They are tougher than aires and typically cost a little less. I must say that From all of the Duckies I've used though, I havent been in one that improved on the 380x yet for my needs (2 people, cargo capacity (camping), whitewater ability, comfort)

I've even built a fishfinder mount and pole mount for my IK which you might be able to see in the pic.

The intex I picked up unused from a yard sale for $100, coudn't pass it up as it has a hard slatted floor to stand on and really is a great value for the money (even at $350) and now I've mounted a trolling motor. Great drift Boat for fishing, but a bear to paddle on flat water/wind.

You could also go with a catamaran, but they can be a little cumbersome on land and in still water/wind.

I have fallen in love with inflatables, in fact, I am about to get my third inflatable this week! I am getting a 16 foot NRS witewater raft from a guide buddy of mine and am going to start training to guide on the New River Gorge and Gauley Rivers here in WV!
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Saturn inflatables or KaBoat .com I have a 15' KaBoat I use when I take my camper trailer to Florida in the winter and can not pull my boat and it works good for me and one more person. The 15' is rated for a 10hp outboard. Most of the time I use a 55lb. MinnKota. Also use a 4hp outboard that works good also.

Good Luck!