PDA

View Full Version : How many people have kept crappie for pets?

Wood_Duck
11-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I've been curious for awhile about having one for a pet. I've kept bluegill, largemouth, gar, and warmouth but I have never saw a crappie less than about 5". I wonder at times if there is such a thing as a baby crappie. I caught my gar/bluegills as little 1-2" babies under lights at night when chasing crappie and I got my bass and warmouth on ultralight when they were not much bigger. Never though have I saw a baby crappie. Can't see it being worth paying shipping to order any from a fish farm and I'd only want one or two and you always have to make bulk orders. I keep a baittank with minnows year round so feeding them isn't a problem. I also wonder how they'd do in a regular room temp. aquarium. I've wanted to buy a chiller so I could keep smallmouth before but they cost so dang much I just havent

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I have never had a crappie. I have had "black perch" aka Green Sunfish in my 150 gallon. Lots of pet crappie on YouTube. I never thought about a chiller, I do know your water would be room temp and that makes for hungry fish. My perch ate like crazy. How many gallon you got???

hunter7711
11-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I used to have a 55 gal tank full of 1 - 2 inchers. In my youner days when I fished for cats, we sould seign the rivers for red horse minnows and would always catch some of the little ones.

Wood_Duck
11-24-2011, 08:16 PM
probably a 10 gallon till it got about 6" or so that way my tank bully(warmouth) wouldn't be so inclined to pick on it. that's the most aggressive little turd i have ever saw. when i drop a fathead in, it usually never hits the water before it's swallowed.

kycreek
11-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I bet that warmouth is aggressive. They sure hit minnows hard on a hook.

clock152
11-24-2011, 09:18 PM
forgive me but WTH is a warmouth?

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 10:13 PM
It what my ex turns into after Bloody Marys for breakfast while in Vegas on vacation.

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Warmouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmouth)

gabowman
11-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Here's ya one to keep!RoflRofl

clock152
11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
It what my ex turns into after Bloody Marys for breakfast while in Vegas on vacation.

my ex's.... yes that is times 2....hahahahahahahahaha

clock152
11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Warmouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmouth)
what we call a rock bass...or shell crusher.

Lowellhturner
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Saw a video at sporting store of 20- 25 in a 500 gallon tank with weeds and a little wood when the guy fed them; most of the minnows were GONE very quickly, the rest ran into the corners and got ate. PRETTY fish ! (But wouldn`t WANT to clean that big a tank !)

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Rock bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_bass)

clock152
11-24-2011, 10:49 PM
looks the same to me...LOL

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Saw a video at sporting store of 20- 25 in a 500 gallon tank with weeds and a little wood when the guy fed them; most of the minnows were GONE very quickly, the rest ran into the corners and got ate. PRETTY fish ! (But wouldn`t WANT to clean that big a tank !)

Big tanks don't need to be cleaned often, more water. Just don't put a bunch of fish in your tank. A couple BIG craw dads clean the bottom. It's the small tanks that get nasty. Plus there are "cleaner fish" you can keep to help you have a very clean tank.

Wood_Duck
11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
forgive me but WTH is a warmouth?

Beholdest thou ferocious warmouth! I caught him when he was about 2.5" at a creek below the house. Now he's about 6.5" and groin fast as crabgrass.

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 11:13 PM
I think that's a Green Sunfish. The old timers around here call them "black perch" Neon lines by it's mouth is a dead giveaway. That's what I had in my tank and they are mean, and they love to eat. Good tank fish, they love warmer water.

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Green sunfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sunfish)

Wood_Duck
11-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I think that's a Green Sunfish. The old timers around here call them "black perch" Neon lines by it's mouth is a dead giveaway. That's what I had in my tank and they are mean, and they love to eat. Good tank fish, they love warmer water.

Everyone around here's always called that a warmouth. I've even saw pics of them calling them a warmouth but i could be missinformed. I've caught them suckers up to 1lb 2oz. heck of a fighter

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Here's ya one to keep!RoflRofl

Nice one. Flat Heads love those. Funny thing is, I bet he hit hard?? Those little ones do hit like a big boy sometimes.

Wood_Duck
11-24-2011, 11:32 PM
only thing though, the green sunfish mouth looks awfully tiny compared to mine. his mouth looks like an equivalent smallmouth bass.

Slabs Inc
11-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Everyone around here's always called that a warmouth. I've even saw pics of them calling them a warmouth but i could be missinformed. I've caught them suckers up to 1lb 2oz. heck of a fighter

Your tank fish is called a Black Perch around here lol silly Hillbillys. I catch them in the summer off shallow rocks in the middle of the day. They are fantastic to eat. Your pics made me want to get the ole 150 gallon set up so I can have some company in my "man cave."

Dutch552
11-25-2011, 07:58 AM
I've kept a couple of whites in my 90 gallon. Like most gamefish, they poop an amazing amount for such a small fish and so it is difficult to keep your water parameters in check. It's really neat to see their mouth extend to eat minnows up close though.

CrappiePappy
11-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I've kept as many as two 9" Crappie in my 38gal. but only for less than 1yr.
They about financially broke me, feeding'em minners Rofl
I found it much cheaper to keep one large Warmouth, & feed it nightcrawlers.

I'm gonna say that Wood Duck's fish is a Green Sunfish, as well ( as per this : Redirect Notice (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nc.water.usgs.gov/albe/Pics/pics_biology2/Fish/images/Green.sunfish.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nc.water.usgs.gov/albe/Pics/pics_biology2/Fish/pages/Green.sunfish.html&h=258&w=480&sz=32&tbnid=pnDLmGIRbnNgiM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgreen%2Bsunfish%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3D u&zoom=1&q=green+sunfish&docid=W8oqfIK0_cIPwM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CpjPTt_kCob1gAeGuLWfDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAg&dur=262) )

Warmouth, Rock Bass, & Green Sunfish are three different fish. Warmouth & Rock Bass are generally brownish colored, rather than greenish. They all three have large mouths & are of similar shape. Google each by just their name, and you'll get to see much better pictures than what Wiki's drawings show.

... cp :cool:

no1son
11-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Woodduck, you definitely have a green sunfish there. That species probably has the most interesting 'personality' of all the sunnies. Aggressive little so and so's in the wild, they can mature out at quite a variety of sizes, all of which are apt to strike at anything they think they can get in their mouths. Our private name for them is 'little greedies' and I have caught them up here as big as 9", although they seldom get anywhere near as large as that. They strike and fight as hard ounce for ounce as anything in the water. They are also probably the easiest of the sunfishes to keep in an aquarium. FWIW when well fed in a large enough tank in proper temperatures, they have been know to spawn every ten days indefinitely.

Both warmouth and rock bass are quite different species from this, and although they resemble each other pretty closely they are not closely related to each other either.

I have taken some pretty tiny crappies on the little jigs down to 3" or 4", that normally means that I am not in big crappie waters, but rather in the nursery habitats. Virtually everything that eats fish including bigger crappies eat the tiny ones finding them as delicious as we do. As a result they are extremely timid and actually do not eat minnows as extensively as the larger sizes do and they don't do that anywhere near as much as normally represented.

A crappie in an aquarium ranks as a prima donna among the smaller members of the sunfish family; they are both harder to keep and have less 'personality' than the smaller true Lepomis sunfishes, many of which are also far more beautiful, especially when in spawning condition, and far less likely to cower in whatever cover you provide. One thing though the sunfish are not well suited to being kept in schools. The largest will almost inevitably bully the rest to the point of killing off the smaller ones, unless you can put them in very large aquariums with enough cover for the victims to hide in and keep them all at essentially the same size. Single fish by contrast can be easily kept in much smaller tanks, providing you keep the tanks clean enough, and they are actually pretty tolerant along those lines.

jake_lusk
11-25-2011, 10:07 AM
the way i tell if its a warmouth is 1. its got a bass sized mouth, 2. it has red eyes, 3. all the ones iv caught have been short, thick, and delicious :D

Wood_Duck
11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
dang, now i gotta come up with a cool name for him. warmouth is pretty sweet but green sunfish....thats kinda bland. I know he will bully the crap out of regular bluegill that are a couple inches bigger than him.

no1son
11-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Sounds to me like you got a Bulldawg.. ;)

CrappiePappy
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Duck .... they're also the one most likely to crossbreed with other sunfish species !! Doh

... cp :cool:

BigRiverMarine
11-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Had a 9" crappie in a 30 gallon tank for a year and a half. Grew to about 12". Changed the filter in the tank and killed him. He ate good tho!!! Farm Fed. LOL

BRM

BJH
11-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Had a warmouth for almost two yrs. Took it with me hunting and fishing all the time ....then he got a little out of hand one day and fell overboard, little sucker drowned before i could get him in the net!Rofl

Shoemoo
11-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Never kept crappie, but I have kept a couple of pumpkinseeds in an aquarium. They are a gorgeous fish. Right up there with some of the tropical fish and discus for coloring. Plus they don't get too large for a tank.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/Images/fishing/fish/male%20pumpkinseed%20sunfish%20from%20Dillon%20Res ervoir%2026May09%20by%20BZ.jpg

tear-em-up
11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
G-duck on the Maryland board has pet crappie.

Wood_Duck
11-30-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if it has befriended my little tank terror but I've had a 1.5" fathead minnow that's been swimming in his tank for 5 days now somehow without being eaten. Normally anytime you toss a minnow or worm in he inhales it before it ever makes contact with the water. He'll still take worms though....weird

tbinchrist
12-26-2011, 07:16 AM
I have a large tank with a Flathead Catfish, yellow perch, warmouth, and both black and white crappie. The tank is a regular fish processing unit! There are huge personality differences between black and white crappies for sure!

Slab
12-26-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a large tank with a Flathead Catfish, yellow perch, warmouth, and both black and white crappie. The tank is a regular fish processing unit! There are huge personality differences between black and white crappies for sure!

Curious, what are those "personality differences"? I know Black Crappie are very shy in aquariums. It's hard to get Black Crappie to eat worms, but you can do it. And when you do, they don't poop near as bad as when fed minnows. The tank gets a whole lot easier to maintain once you can convince them to eat worms. I used to break the night crawlers in half for them. I don't have any Crappie anymore. I think the last one I had died cause I fed him minnows when he was on a worm diet. He gorged himself and killed himself from over eating I think.

tbinchrist
12-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Actually i have 5 Black and 3 white, and the white ones are way more shy. Crappie in general are shy, but the white crappie stick really tight to their simulated "brush pile" in all but dark conditions. The black crappie hold close by when it is bright, but if i turn down the lighting much they come out schooling around. The white crappie however seem more aggressive when food comes near their "holding" area. When the lights go off everybody goes up to make room for the Flattie :)

quikcarl61
12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Had a buddy had 2 black crappie in a 50 gallon tank for a long time, fed them minnows every couple of days. We could watch how they reacted in the aquarium and find them when we went fishing, where ever they were relating in the tank thats how they were in our local lake, if they were up in the tank, they were shallow in the lake and vice versa, worked darn near everytime. Oh and they were a hoot to watch when we put fresh minnows in, they would stalk them and then nail them, they were funny.

wheels70
12-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Never had one as a pet but I have caught several little ones throwing a cast net for shad when we are fishing for channel cat.

swampdaddy
12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I eat em, dont know much about keeping them for pets. If I was you I sure wouldnt invite a game warden over for dinner any time soon.

Mean Green 2
12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes that is a Green sunfish. I had a white crappie for a couple years it was about 5" when I caught it and about 12" when it died (turtle one day decided it wanted to eat it).

tbinchrist
12-30-2011, 05:45 AM
77002770037700477005Here are some pictures of my tank. In the last one you can see the flathead cat under the tree. All in all 2 yellow perch, 3 black crappie, white crappie, warmouth, and one flathead.