Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jigheads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigheads?

I have question as to what size jigheads i should use with some of the plastics that i got.

I used some old jigheads that i had picked up with a set that had much smaller plastics.

The four jigheads at the top are the old ones. The bottom two are some that i picked up at Cabelas. I believe it is a 1/16 and a 1/8 oz.

The problem that i am having is the fish keep coming off the hook. I also want to pick up some painted jigheads, but a little unsure of what size.

Also, instead of using the jigheads, does anyone just use hooks? I'm thinking about picking up some circle hooks to slow down the bait as it sinks.
    Last edited by ChrisCarter; 11-23-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Get some wire keeper jigs . Baits won't come off and they don't tear up the plastic .

Post Thanks / Like

try a dab of super glue on shaft of hook /to slow fall lightn up the jig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflip View Post
    try a dab of super glue on shaft of hook /to slow fall lightn up the jig
    Ten 4, short and to the point. Good post, this thread could go on for days but I think you nipped it.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

Probably should have clarified that when i said "they keep coming off the hook" I meant the "fish keep coming off the hook"

Post Thanks / Like

The top 2 jig heads on the right go inside of a tube. You pop the eye thru the body after it is inserted. That way the fish doesn't feel the lead jig head and will hold on to it longer. The body can't come off of the jig that way.
    The 2 jig heads on the upper left are used with a tube body, and the bottom 2 are used with a solid body. Different styles of hooks for different bodies and each has a purpose. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

be a line watcher,not a bite feeler..watch that line when it tics,stops or moves SET THE HOOK,youwait to feel the bite that is usually way too late,he has pobably figgerd out rubber aint that tasty just my theroy

Post Thanks / Like

What pound test you using and what's the action of your rod?

Post Thanks / Like

ultra light, 4 lb Nano test

One thing that just crossed my mind, this is my first time doing some fall fishing. I usually fish in the late spring/summer time frame. I don't have too much of an idea of how the fish act when colder temps set in.

jigflip may be right that i'm waiting for the bite, rather than not watching the line.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris ... I'd pick the hook size based on the length & thickness of the body of the plastics (tail not considered on length). I'd pick the jighead weight based on depth of water fished &/or rate of fall needed.

I use #4 & #2 hooks for 1.5" to 2" plastics ... and mostly use solid body plastics.
    I use 1/32oz & 1/16oz jigheads with those plastics. (mostly ballhead weedless jigheads w/retainer barb)

Fish coming off the hook is usually the result of either hooking them in the mouth tissue, or a slow or light hookset. That's why line watching is so important, so you notice the line movement signs of a hit & react with the hookset fast enough to get the hook into the roof of the fish's mouth, and hard enough to drive the hook home.

I set the hook hard & fast, and I'm using 4lb test mono on a variety of rod lengths/actions (5' - 8' & UL to Med action rods). I don't break the line on hookset, because I've pre-tested them at home beforehand. My drag is set to give right before the load on the rod & breaking point of the line has been reached.

I wouldn't consider using circle hooks, unless I could train myself to NOT set the hook ... which is highly doubtful Rofl
    If you're looking for a slower fall rate ... downsize your jighead. Several of the members do make custom jigheads, so they could provide you with a range of head weights & hook sizes, as well as painted ones.

... luck2ya

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast