Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anybody been to Hovey?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody been to Hovey?

Just wandering if anyone has been there and how you did. Does the river get into this lake by the way? Just wandering if it gets muddy and floods if this is the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Not been to Hovey because of the motor size restrictions. If they ever put just a speed limit on that lake I would fish it all the time. I may have to buy a kayak to fish that lake. LOL

Yes the river at flood stage can go over the concrete damn on the drain channel and fill the lake. It has to get pretty high before it will do that. Not sure of the exact river elevation. Might call the DNR at Hovey's to find out when this happens. You can search the Indiana DNR web site for information about the numbers to call. I would ask to talk to the Hovey Lake DNR property Manager if he is there. Maybe the secretary or office woman can help you. She's pretty sharp and has been there a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpPoop
    Just wandering if anyone has been there and how you did. Does the river get into this lake by the way? Just wandering if it gets muddy and floods if this is the case.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

where is hovey at? the name sounds familiar for some reason.
    I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what the motor restrictions are on Hovey Lake? I have just moved to Newburgh, IN and thought i would like to try this lake out.

Duck Grinder Guest

Default Hovey Lake

There is a 10 HP limit on Hovey's. Let me know how you do. I used to fish there for years with great success. The lake has gotten a lot tougher in recent years.

Post Thanks / Like

How big is this lake? I have a 17' ladue with a 55hp on the back, but i do have a good trolling motor on it. I also have a small bass boat ( 4' x 8' ) that has a 37lb thrust trolling motor on it. It appears on the map to be a good size lake. I went up to Lynville to the strip mine area and didn't really do any good. Don't know if it was just a bad day, or if that place has any fish. I was also thinking of going to the strip mine off of Booneville exit from I-164. Do you know if this is any good? Thanks,

RAD

Duck Grinder Guest

Default Hovey Lake

Hovey Lake is a 1,400 acre, old oxbow lake, off of the Ohio River. It has everything the river has in it to catch. It used to be one of the areas premier Crappie lakes. You can still catch them there in the Spring and Fall. With the 10 HP limit there, you will be using the trolling motors whichever boat you choose. Either one will work this time of year. Lynnville Lake is good for Bluegill, Bass, Catfish, and Redear. I have done well on it in the past, especially during the Bluegill and Redear spawn. Blue Grass has lots of water to fish, at least 12 different pits, and good prospects for panfish and Bass. It is electric only and has boat ramps on at least half of the pits. Some of them are best fished with a canoe or small boat like yours. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...has anyone actually been to Hovey this spring who can give us a report on their findings??