Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone knows a place or two fishing for crappie this time of year in Rhode Island?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone knows a place or two fishing for crappie this time of year in Rhode Island?

Ye, I know this might be a long shot, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!:-) I am from Toronto, Canada area but will travel to and work in Providence, Rhode Island for more than 2 weeks starting next Monday (28th of November). I'd like to try some crappie fishing while in Rhode Island if I know where to look for them this time of the year. I will have a rental car, so yes, I can move around (after all, Rhode Island is not too big a state:-), and I will buy a Rhode Island non-resident freshwater fishing license. Also, while on travel I only play "catch and release" (I won't keep or kill any fish).

Thanks for "listening" and for any pointers you might offer me.:-)

Post Thanks / Like

You should try Watchaug Pond it is in a very nice State Park, Blackstone if I remember correctly. Although I've been living in Alabama since 1978 I still visit relatives there. I didn't catch any crappie this past summer, but locals tell me spring and fall crappie fishing is great. Be sure to ask about the sand bar that divides the lake. It is more of a rock bar. No problem if you know where it is and you go slow. It goes from one side of lake (pond) to the other and splits it about in half. I'd offer my relatives phone number, but none of them fish for nor know anything about crappie fishing. You will be picking up quite a few pickerel as you fish there.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gansett, thank you very much for the info. I did a google map search, and found this Watchaug Pond in Charlestown, Rhode Island, and I assume this is the one (pond) you meant. I will definitely give it a try (after all, for over two weeks stay in RI with two weekends in between, and with a rental car to move around, I expect to do quite some exploring and fishing:-)

Thanks again,
    James Xiaolu