Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A lot of work in condos that are no good

Post Thanks / Like

Default A lot of work in condos that are no good

I now it is a lot of work that goes into condos that I think that an't work the time and effort put into them. The stake condos set in concreat that some fisherman will hook and turn over and leave it laying on bottom and you have a lot of nothing when it does I think it is a big wast of time. I still think the old top method works best. The best condos I have seen made is the ones with the plastic pipe I think they will possible stay up.Some of you old timers give your oppinion on this. I am not trying to make any one made about thair condos and if you have results out of them good. I think it has ben a welth of information come across Crappie. com. and thanks to one ond all.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

In a mostly muddy oxbow lake type, I agree with you. But in a clear water reservoir type with little or no cover, you can make yourself some killer honey holes.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use trees, pvc,stakes, and bamboo in a fairly shallow dingy (most of the time ) lake. We catch lots of crappie around them all. At times certain depths and material constructed condos work better than others. Except for bamboo which floats , consider adding a small floatation to top of condo to help stand up. Another thing is add rebar x to bottom the give a larger foot print. Then the last option is make them wide enough to work even laying down.
    One mistake people make is building condos too crowded . Fish need room to get inside to work best. This makes them easier to fish without getting hung up a lot. I think if there is not atleasts 8'' spacing through for fish to swim ,they are too cramped. The tree thing in my opinion is Cedar is too thick , Persimion Trees are best as they have few limbs. I usually put 2 -3 trees to a spot.
    As for the bamboo it floats and will stand up if one end is set in concrete. Our lake has a lot of shallow water so we lay some down on purpose. I cut holes in a old bucket lid with a lock hole saw and leave one place attached on the cut out.This locks boo in place in the holes. Push the boo 1/3 way through holes and this holds it apart. Then tie butT ends to gather and loose tie tops to keep from floating up too much. At the lake weight each end and toss on a drop off or flat.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see why most condo's wouldn't work even if they were on thier side.

Will they not?
    Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Nimrod you and I think alike on the condos. I like the idea of the rebar on the bottom that makes more sense than just dropping a bucket over the side I have done one or two like that . The cedar tree is to thick I agree if you use them I think you should thin thim out a LOT. It is hard to beat willow sweet gum oak lims.

have a good one
    mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap and lazy

I prefere to go with sycamores. They line the banks of everything I fish-so I don't haul them very far, they sink themselves-so I don't have to add weights, and they don't cost anything-so I'm not out for weights, rebar, ropes and strings, pvc, or cement. I'm not hauling them in my truck or boat so that everyone can see what I'm doing. It's alot of work, but pays off in big fish on a regular basis.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    I prefere to go with sycamores. They line the banks of everything I fish-so I don't haul them very far, they sink themselves-so I don't have to add weights, and they don't cost anything-so I'm not out for weights, rebar, ropes and strings, pvc, or cement. I'm not hauling them in my truck or boat so that everyone can see what I'm doing. It's alot of work, but pays off in big fish on a regular basis.

Mo'nBack I now the sycamores work for shure my sun-n-law sank some on Red River and we caught an't no telling at the fish around them. Stick with the tops the work the best and like you said they line the banks and don't cost a darn thing and you don't have to haul them all over the country for people to watch you and see whare you put them out.

good fishing
    mikeg