PDA

View Full Version : The WORST fishing line

Lou
11-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I noticed someone asked about favorite lines, and there are a LOT of good lines out there, but how about BAD fishing lines? Are there lines you think others will do well to avoid, if so, which ones are the worst, and why?

Wood_Duck
11-21-2011, 07:44 AM
anything but trilene and suffixDevil Icon

As far as mono lines the shakespear and eagle claw line seems to be some of the worse. breaking strength is pitiful. I refuse to use it but unfortunately a few people I know use it on the cheap. Braid wise, I don't like spiderwire and power pro. the latter is strong as heck but casts like crap on my setups. I use all suffix braid now.

barrelslime
11-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Stren never goes on my reels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Codyology
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
cajun red is my least favorite

Sandwich Maker
11-21-2011, 05:57 PM
For the price paid, for me it's Bekley Nanofil.

abarkley
11-21-2011, 07:31 PM

agree...absolute garbage

clock152
11-21-2011, 07:40 PM
worst line!!!!... "but Honey.. lake water makes your boobes bigger"

Boone1
11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I totally agree with the Shaekespere and EaGLE Claw being bad, I am not really fond of Cajun Red either, I like the Trilene XL about as good as anything. I have tired a lot of different ones, If U got a favorite one let me know

jeepguyjames
11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
same

Zero
11-21-2011, 09:37 PM
P-Line is the best 4# I have ever fished. Fish it almost exclusivly when long lining. Trying a new line called Ultra Thor in 4# for casting. Could be good as it appears to be cheaply priced.

Zero

Wood_Duck
11-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a buddy who spooled up some cajun red and for a whole season he talked about how superior it is to my vanish transition all because it was red and i suppose possessed some supernatural powers due to its coloration?! even though he snapped off 8lb on quite a few shellcrackers and my 4lb never missed a beat. i even snagged and drug in a 23lb carp with my 4lb vanish on a st croix light action. luckily my buddy was there to witness this. although he had to assist my fight with the boat, lol

gabowman
11-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I've never cared for Stren. Dont know why...just dont like it.

roybuoy
11-21-2011, 11:36 PM
cajun red is my least favoriteHate the stuff!!!!

Lou
11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Stren never goes on my reels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone told me how great it is, perhaps Stren and P-Line you either love or hate, as it seems that has been what I have heard from people about those two lines in particular. I wonder if one excells in one area that is important to the user, but is not so great in other areas. So that if say you really need abrasion resistance, and brand X is abrasion resistant, than even though it may be more prone to birds nest, you may still prefer it to other less abrasion restant lines. Perhaps we ought to be more specific about why we love or hate a line... We may learn even more that way.

Crappieday
11-22-2011, 05:47 AM
I have had good stren and I have had bad stren the same with trilene etc. Now I am using a lot of Cajun red 4# no problems just change line every month or so it's cheap and works for me. Just make sure the line is fresh and not sitting in the store under fluorescent light uv will kill it. Keep fresh line on your reels and keep them out of the sun and you should be OK jmho.......

2KanZam
11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Someone told me how great it is, perhaps Stren and P-Line you either love or hate, as it seems that has been what I have heard from people about those two lines in particular. I wonder if one excells in one area that is important to the user, but is not so great in other areas. So that if say you really need abrasion resistance, and brand X is abrasion resistant, than even though it may be more prone to birds nest, you may still prefer it to other less abrasion restant lines. Perhaps we ought to be more specific about why we love or hate a line... We may learn even more that way.

I used to really like stren, I was given spools and spools of both stren 4 and 6 lb flouro that I used for years. I recently started to run out so I picked up some new 4 and 8lb just a couple of months ago.

Both of these new spools are THE WORST! They'll snap if I sneeze and they birds nest every chance they get. I've wondered if something changed in their manufacturing???

2KanZam
11-22-2011, 10:05 AM

What's everybody's issues with the Cajun? I recently bought the ole lady a spincast that came prespooled with 10 lb Cajun Red line....it was my first experience with this stuff. I tied a lure on and the cast goes nowhere! Granted the 10lb is very excessive for her needs and the lure......but I really feel like that line is what was keeping her casts so short. I am planning to spool some 6lb for her, hopefully it improves the range.

wharfrat
11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
It's funny, but I cleaning out my Dad's attic (passed on in 2002) late last winter and I found a spool of Mr. Crappie line from BPS, and on the back it said "made in Germany". I don't know how old it was, but he had been immoble since mid 1990's, so it was bought sometime before that. Today's Mr. Crappie is junk in my opinion. I've had nothing but break-offs and line twists and have quit using it. But just for the fun of it, I spooled his old line on, early spring, and it performed magically all season long. I never did get any line twists, and don't remember any break-offs. I also put it on one of my 10' poles and worked great. I'm really surprised that a spool of 20yr line can out perform the Chinese Mr. Crappie line of today! So if you ask me, Today's Mr. Crappie Line is the worst!

Lou
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I used to really like stren, I was given spools and spools of both stren 4 and 6 lb flouro that I used for years. I recently started to run out so I picked up some new 4 and 8lb just a couple of months ago.

Both of these new spools are THE WORST! They'll snap if I sneeze and they birds nest every chance they get. I've wondered if something changed in their manufacturing???

Or is it a bad batch? I have had cans of Coke and Pepsi that tasted awful. I work in a steel mill, we sell a lot of steel to the auto industry. If we send out a bad coil of steel to an auto manufacturer, there are immediate consequences, we have to make it right, and we have to kiss up so that they do not buy from another manufacturer. I think companies that sell to the public, auto manufacturers too often included, do not take it seriously when they screw their customers. Unlike the steel industry, one customer more or less is not going to make or break them, so I think their standards are often not high enough, so their quality assurance may well be too lax as a result. What do you guys think? One line a person I respect loves Ande fishing line. He thinks more than any others Ande is true to it's stated strength/test, etc. I know of no good local sources for any kind of variety of Ande, so I don't really use it, but if it was easier to obtain I would like to try it. I did use it years ago, but have not used it in decades.

GRIZZ
11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Line technology has advanced so much in recent years that any company that still produces the plain old nylon mono does it because the masses want what they have always had even though it's inferior to the newer lines. Stren was once a dominant line maker, but now it is just resting on it's customer base that won't change. Berkley is better but they still sell tons of nylon line. As far as I'm concerned any nylon is bad. It stretches, and breaks too easily and degrades too fast. When I want a clear line I stick to copolymers, like Gamma or sufix promix. They stretch less and are more durable, stronger and don't deteriorate in storage or on the reel.

Since I have moved to Florida and fish primarily salt now I have switched to braided line. I tried a couple braids and settled on PowerPro. I don't think I could ever go back to monos. It's so sensitive, thin and durable using mono now feels like the rod is dead in my hands. There are better braids than powerpro, but they are so expensive it's hard to justify the expense. Samauri by Daiwa is widely regarded as the very best braid, but it is super pricey, next I would say is Sufix 832 and the rest fall behind those. Nanofil is interesting, but I don't see it really catching on. I think the next real hit is going to be PowerPro's new line called Super8Slick. It's an 8 strand like Sufix 832, but I think it's better. I'm going to get some.

Then there is Fluorocarbon. It definitely has it's place as leader for using braids, but as a main line it has drawbacks. As a main line I would say it's the worst you can use.

QUAKEnSHAKE
11-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I tried and tried Tri XL down to 6#(on 6 reels) and just dont care for that stuff the coiling, line twist too much no feel went to braid never an issue once again tried XL but still the same poor results went back to braid.
There was mentioned Naonofil I have that in 6# and it is significantly better than XL in my experience, just happened to get it on sale as well, but still prefer braid to either of them.

Lou
11-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Line technology has advanced so much in recent years that any company that still produces the plain old nylon mono does it because the masses want what they have always had even though it's inferior to the newer lines. Stren was once a dominant line maker, but now it is just resting on it's customer base that won't change. Berkley is better but they still sell tons of nylon line. As far as I'm concerned any nylon is bad. It stretches, and breaks too easily and degrades too fast. When I want a clear line I stick to copolymers, like Gamma or sufix promix. They stretch less and are more durable, stronger and don't deteriorate in storage or on the reel.

Since I have moved to Florida and fish primarily salt now I have switched to primarily braided line. I tried a couple braids and settled on PowerPro. I don't think I could ever go back to monos. It's so sensitive, thin and durable using mono now feels like the rod is dead in my hands. There are better braids than powerpro, but they are so expensive it's hard to justify the expense. Samauri by Daiwa is widely regarded as the very best braid, but it is super pricey, next I would say is Sufix 832 and the rest fall behind those. Nanofil is interesting, but I don't see it really catching on. I think the next real hit is going to be PowerPro's new line called Super8Slick. It's an 8 strand like Sufix 832, but I think it's better. I'm going to get some.

Then there is Fluorocarbon. It definitely has it's place as leader for using braids, but as a main line it has drawbacks. As a main line I would say it's the worst you can use.

I have a love-hate relationship with braid. I am tinkering with Nanofil now. I am using 8lb in place of 4lb because I get a small diameter, but real strength, I lose less lures, so I think it may have more than paid for itself. The cost of just jigs these days is crazy, for example RR heads are insanely expensive but they seem to produce more fish for me, so how many do I have to save to pay for the Nanofil, not that many... I am still not sold on it, but I am not sure it's DOA either. I would also expect the price to drop over time. I do think I need to use more Floro leader, but that of course is one more step on top of so many other steps...

Lou
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
I tried and tried Tri XL down to 6#(on 6 reels) and just dont care for that stuff the coiling, line twist too much went to braid never an issue once again tried XL but still the same poor results went back to braid.
There was mentioned Naonofil I have that in 6# and it is significantly better than XL in my experience, just happened to get it on sale as well, but still prefer braid to either of them.

I wonder if Nanofil is less abrasive than braid? That might be something to consider.

GRIZZ
11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
It is less abrasive than the majority of briads, but Samauri and Super8Slick is super smooth like Nanofil.

Lou
11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
It is less abrasive than the majority of briads, but Samauri and Super8Slick is super smooth like Nanofil.

Thanks Grizz, I am going to have to check those out.

QUAKEnSHAKE
11-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I wonder if Nanofil is less abrasive than braid? That might be something to consider.

It feels so but then Ive used #8/1-10/2 PowerPro since '03 on $20 UglyStiks to $200 St Croixs and never a worn guide issue.

Dutch552
11-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Berkley Vanish is the worst in my experience-I've had two bad batches of 10# that you could easily break by pulling it with your hands. My mainstays for mono are P-line, Trilene XL and Spiderwire Easy Mono. BPS XPS or Seaguar Invisix for flurocarbon. Powerpro for casting/jigging braids and Fireline/Suffix braid if I am trolling with it.

crappiedoc
11-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Berkley, Trilene, and Stren with some others have all suffered since their incorporation with PureFish2000 a dominate WalMart supplier. When DuPont had Stren it was great, some other notables included Bagleys SilverThread which has suffered too. I heard good on TechTan, but anymore with all the conditioners in the lines, I think freshness is the key. IMHO

jigflip
11-22-2011, 07:33 PM
cajun red is like tryin to use copper wire stiffff

clock152
11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
yeah I got a good deal on Cajun (Zebco yard sale)....the stuf sucks!... well for my ultralight it does.... I have some 15lb on my med rod for catfishing and its good stuff.. on an ultra lite its like fishing with wire cable!

Lou
11-22-2011, 11:00 PM
It feels so but then Ive used #8/1-10/2 PowerPro since '03 on $20 UglyStiks to $200 St Croixs and never a worn guide issue.

So, it looks like PowerPro, Samurai and Super8Slick are all pretty gear friendly. I really do like the improved sensitivity of the Nanofil, but it's darned expensive stuff to be sure.

Lou
11-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Berkley Vanish is the worst in my experience-I've had two bad batches of 10# that you could easily break by pulling it with your hands. My mainstays for mono are P-line, Trilene XL and Spiderwire Easy Mono. BPS XPS or Seaguar Invisix for flurocarbon. Powerpro for casting/jigging braids and Fireline/Suffix braid if I am trolling with it.

I have heard people say that BPS Tourney Tough Mono is supposed to be a really good mono, and their XPS is a good mono. Some here seem to be saying that Trilene is going down hill, so for the sake of picking the best of the best, perhaps we should leave that one out. If my sources are right, than P-line and Spiderwire Easy mono may round out the monos? How do others see the BPS line?

So far it looks like better braids include Samurai, Super8Slick, Suffix, Fireline and PowerPro, though some of these are task specific, IE Fireline and Suffix being for trolling. I am guessing that Samurai, Super8Slick, and PowerPro are less stiff, thus are fine for casting?

How about Floro lines? One vote for Seaguar Invisix thus far...

Lou
11-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Berkley, Trilene, and Stren with some others have all suffered since their incorporation with PureFish2000 a dominate WalMart supplier. When DuPont had Stren it was great, some other notables included Bagleys SilverThread which has suffered too. I heard good on TechTan, but anymore with all the conditioners in the lines, I think freshness is the key. IMHO

Unfortunately that makes a good deal of sense.

WiCrappie
11-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Vanish has been OK so far for me though the price just isn't worth it. I've had some bad runs with Stren but Berkley Trilene XL and XT have been pretty consistent since I started buying it at a sporting goods store rather than at Fleet Farm (think Tractor Supply meets Wal-Mart with a huge fishing & hunting section thrown in). I think they store their line with everything else in the off season and if you go buy too early you get the warehouse stock that's been sitting with the chemicals all winter versus fresh line. The biggest thing that has made a difference was learning how to read the production codes on the spools before buying them. I think I read how to do that on here. I did so and bought the freshest line and it was all great.

jimp
11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Vanish has been OK so far for me though the price just isn't worth it. I've had some bad runs with Stren but Berkley Trilene XL and XT have been pretty consistent since I started buying it at a sporting goods store rather than at Fleet Farm (think Tractor Supply meets Wal-Mart with a huge fishing & hunting section thrown in). I think they store their line with everything else in the off season and if you go buy too early you get the warehouse stock that's been sitting with the chemicals all winter versus fresh line. The biggest thing that has made a difference was learning how to read the production codes on the spools before buying them. I think I read how to do that on here. I did so and bought the freshest line and it was all great.

well, post up that link on reading production codes hook us up????

WiCrappie
11-23-2011, 09:17 PM
well, post up that link on reading production codes hook us up????

...Just found it again.

Line Codes (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/174734-what-size-line-2.html#post1514788)

GRIZZ
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
None of the non fused braids are stiff, including the Sufix. What makes a braid better is being smoother, thinner, durable and strong. You really have 3 categories of braid there. The high end 8 strands - Samurai, Sufix, and Super8Slick,, one fused braid and then regular Powerpro which is really the trilene XL of braids. Even these don't touch the varieties of super lines, and whats coming down the pipes. Line is the most technologically active category in tackle. I have been using regular Powerpro, and just today I bought a spool of Super8Slick. I spooled it up and took a few casts, but I'll give it a better workout tomorrow. All the braids you listed work well on both casting and spinning gear.

I have heard people say that BPS Tourney Tough Mono is supposed to be a really good mono, and their XPS is a good mono. Some here seem to be saying that Trilene is going down hill, so for the sake of picking the best of the best, perhaps we should leave that one out. If my sources are right, than P-line and Spiderwire Easy mono may round out the monos? How do others see the BPS line?

So far it looks like better braids include Samurai, Super8Slick, Suffix, Fireline and PowerPro, though some of these are task specific, IE Fireline and Suffix being for trolling. I am guessing that Samurai, Super8Slick, and PowerPro are less stiff, thus are fine for casting?

How about Floro lines? One vote for Seaguar Invisix thus far...

mduncan62
11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Wally Marshall Camo!

I don't have mono in my boat and haven't for several years. I only crappie fish, and I wouldn't trade braid for anything. Thumbs Up

mitrisin
11-24-2011, 01:17 AM
I have been using 6lb test Viscous mono for spider rigging but I have lost a lot of rigs recently. I was thinking of going to 10# power pro braid with 6lb PLine Floroclear leaders. Will this combo work (using BnM Pro Trollers) or will I have a problem with the rods breaking with the lack of stretch? My other option would be to use 10lb Viscous for my main line.

What do y'all think

Mike

Tracy Swanson
11-24-2011, 06:38 AM
mr crappie #4 #6 never had a problem used it now for going on 3years

jimp
11-24-2011, 10:28 AM
...Just found it again.

Line Codes (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/174734-what-size-line-2.html#post1514788)

good deal, thanks

Wood_Duck
11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I have been using 6lb test Viscous mono for spider rigging but I have lost a lot of rigs recently. I was thinking of going to 10# power pro braid with 6lb PLine Floroclear leaders. Will this combo work (using BnM Pro Trollers) or will I have a problem with the rods breaking with the lack of stretch? My other option would be to use 10lb Viscous for my main line.

What do y'all think

Mike

Well I tried the powerpro but didnt like some of its qualities. it tries to dig in the reels pretty bad and dont cast worth a crap for me in the 10lb flavor although for trolling and such it wouldnt be as big of a deal. check out the suffix 832 lines. I've switched every crappie/musky rig I have over to it. Casts like a champ, strong, and dont dig in the spool. as for the leader thats more a personal thing. I just tie straight on to my braid and i've never really been at a point were i felt my line deterred a bite. But if you feel having clear line tied onto the lure will help you then i'd imagine that to work just fine. I might consider 8lb though.

Sandwich Maker
11-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking the age of line has to do with the conditions in which it's been stored. I found a bulk spool of Mr Crappie 10lb this spring that has to be at least 10 years old. You can pull stumps up with it. Of course, it's been in a drawer in the shop the whole time.

kycreek
11-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Cajun Red would get me vote.

fish_4_all
11-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Vanish is the worst I have ever used. Went 0:27 before I threw it all away. Never landed as fish on it. Love Cajun Red and have landed 17# steelhead on 6# test. Second worst I have ever used is Fireline anything.

Wood_Duck
11-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Vanish is the worst I have ever used. Went 0:27 before I threw it all away. Never landed as fish on it. Love Cajun Red and have landed 17# steelhead on 6# test. Second worst I have ever used is Fireline anything.
that does suprise me about the vanish. Before I switched to braid, all I used was 4-6lb Vanish transition and I have used it before as a leader with 10lb braid and when snagged sometimes I'd break off the braid before the vanish would let go. Even drug in a few stripers/carp over 20lbs on 4lb vanish.

fish_4_all
11-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I tried 4,6,10,12 and 20 lb. tests and none of them held a fish. Maybe it is better now but whe i can get line shy fish to hit green/yellow line I doubt I will ever try it again.

Splitshot82
11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
I can't seem to make myself like any kind of fluorocarbon. I know lots of guys love it, but everything I've used has been very prone to abrasion after catching a fish or two. I like to set the hook too, so I need a little bounce in my line to keep me from "pullin up lips".

Fisherman A
11-28-2011, 08:13 AM
I have always had good luck on fireline but spiderwire is to strong I always pull up my brush piles