Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for those who have used Charlie Brewer Weedless Sliders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for those who have used Charlie Brewer Weedless Sliders

I have a silly question. I was just wondering, I guess you rig these (Texas Rig Style) with the hook buried back in the plastic bait. While I use the all the time for bass, I have to set the bait pretty hard to get a good hookset. I was concerned that since crappie are smaller, I would worry about them having enough mass to give resistance and allow the hook to be pulled through the plastic bait. I would wonder if you might just move the crappie through the water. I hope you understand what I am asking, it's a little hard putting into words.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the weedless sliders for crappie and bass, and I don't "cross their eyes". The hooks are thin and very sharp, so it doesn't take much force to set the hook. CB always recommended "sweeping the hook" rather than the hard, fast hookset the bass pros use.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike ... if you have doubts about them, then use one of these Texas Rig "tricks" :

Skinhooking - run the hook thru the body of the plastic grub, then run the hook point just barely under the "skin" of the grub. This keeps it mostly weedless, and the power needed to free the hook from the grub is minimal.

The other trick is to Texas Rig it, like you're doing now ... but, bring the hook ALL THE WAY thru the grub, then back it up (back into the grub body) until the hook point is back inside the grub body. This keeps it weedless, and lessens the power needed to push the hook thru the plastic.

I don't use the Slider heads ... but, I do use weedless jigheads with CB Slider Grubs. That way, the hook is exposed thru the grub body, but protected by the weedguard. Even on 4lb test mono & an array of rod lengths & actions/powers ... I set the hook with enough speed/power to offset the line stretch & pole bend, and with the reel drag set to give prior to reaching the pound test strength of the line.

... cp

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just rig em Texas style and like pappy says run the point just thru the body and back it up. I do that this time of the year as the crappie are a bit lazy in theri bite. The rest of the year I dont poke it thru, the crappie do the work for ya. You will be suprised how agressive you can fish brush with these baits. Find the thickest part and sink it right in. I have fished treetops all year and have yet to loose 1 slider jig. Disco is right also, you dont have to nail em, or you will just pull it out of their mouths.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

i rig mine with the hook barely in the side of the slider rather than down the middle.
    Brush Buster