Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Poor man's lobster surprise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor man's lobster surprise

Going through RainyRiver/LOTW pics from last month and found this one hiding. The biggest 'pout I've caught so far. Thumbs Up They are fairly common in the winter through the ice up there.
    Name:  lowpout 001.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  51.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

You probably have a lot of white to add to the pics now. Here in the SE we are white for the most part and lots of smaller waters are locked up now. I'll be hitting the crappies on the Mississippi River on the Friday after Thanksgiving....supposeds to be back up in the 50's for a few days of reprieve before the next wave of winter sets down on us.

Lake Superior gave up my largest pout. As far as I know its still swimming in the deep water.

Post Thanks / Like

I had never seen a "pout" Looks like a cross between a sturgeon and a grinnel...spelling*

Post Thanks / Like

Burbot, "pout", eelpout, fresh-water ling.....whatever.... it is the freshwater cousin to the cod. They like deep cold water.

Lots of people consider them a trash fish, but the straps of meat found along the top of the back are pure white and boneless. Strip them out and slice them into medallions a half an inch thick and dunk them into a salted boiling water bath for a couple minutes and serve them with dunking butter and you'll wish you have several pounds of them.

They are ugly to look at and slimey as heck to handle. Yes, they can be a nuisance during the winter when walleyes are the preferred fare and they seem to get a bad rap from most angler, but they do have a hidden reward.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like youve found the secret to the eelpout.............but that sure is one UGLY fish!! Reminds me of a flahead catfish with a bowfin body.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    ...but that sure is one UGLY fish!! Reminds me of a flahead catfish with a bowfin body.
    They are ugly. They are born ugly and get worse as they get larger. But those loins are tasty.