Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nanofil fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

Default nanofil fishing line

has anyone ever heard or used this fishing line for panfish and if so what has your experience with been how did it preform

Crappie josh (CJ)
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie josh (CJ)
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 12 pound test on one of my rigs. It's kind of a compromise between braid and mono. It has no stretch, which makes it easier to feel bites when vertical jigging. It's easier to work with than braid because it doesn't wrap around the guides. When your pole is longer than 8 feet, untangling your line wrapped around the tip becomes a real issue. In spite of what the marketing claims, it does have a small amount of memory. The line forms coils when limp. Not as bad as mono, though. Maybe this isn't as prevalent with the lighter tests.

Overall I like it, and will probably be adding it to my other reels with braided line as the line wears out.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 rigs set up with the 2# test Nanofil for crappie & perch fishing. The line performed great as far as casting goes, but I had a terrible time with knots! Lost many jigs on hooksets, no matter how careful & gentle I was! Tried a fluoro leader too, but it didn't fare any better. Now I've been using 2# & 4# test mono for panfishing for more years than I care to think about, so I am familiar with using UL lines & rigs. However this particular line was a big disappointment for me, due to knot breakage, regardless of how careful I tied them. Maybe the 4# test would fair better, but I'll stick with 2 mono rigs (2# & 4#) and one with Fireline (4# test). These rigs have never failed me.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the 4# tied direct to jig with no knot problems, also caught a 18" bass on minnow while crappie fishing and no problem landing it, did take me 5-10 minutes to bring it to boat. I have had several people tell me they had knot problems when tieing to a leader the knot wouldn't hold that is to say the lines slipped apart.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a spool of the 10lb, didn't care for it at all. Broke easier than 8lb mono. In my opinion, you would be better buying a cheaper braid, like Spiderwire EZ, or a different braid as this line leans way more to braid than mono.

Post Thanks / Like

Beware! Nanofil does break at, or below, the rated line tests, unlike most other braids.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the low breaking strength. I used it for the first time Fri. 6 lb Test. I broke off several jigs. Was using Suffix 832 braid in 6 lb test before and hardly ever lost a jig. The suffix would straighten the hook. I do like how it casts and works though. Might have to go to 8 or 10 lb test.

Thanks,

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Also found that it frays more than I expected given its construction. Frayed braids never seemed to cause too many breakage problems for me, that this stuff does.

Post Thanks / Like

Have been using the 6 and have had no problems. the Palomar they suggest never broke but the improved clinch did. It tells you to watch for fray after some use on the last couple of feet but I did not notice it. cast farther than any line I have used. I did set my drag a little lighter to not break off. Caught a 20+ drum which almost spooled me. Price is the only drawback I see with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast