Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil for jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish oil for jigs.

Has anyone ever tried this?
    I have ready how to extract oil from Shad and other fish on a Catfishing site to make stink bait with... seems easy enough.
    I was wondering if anyone has ever done this just for dipping jigs in... would it be viable for very long? or is it just a bad idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Never really thought about that, looking forward to the answers myself. I think it might be a problem keeping it so I'll probably stick with store bought.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

the instructions seemed simple enough to do it yourself... take an ice chest that has a drain hole and a sealable jar (probalby wouldnt use the ice chest again for anything other than this...LOL ) get a big bag of rock salt .. put one layer of salt down then a layer of fish.. cover it with salt and add another layer of fish and so on untill you have all the fish you want to extract from in the ice chest.. close the lid up tight.. rais the chest high enough to get the jar under the drain hole... tilt the ice chest so that the oil will drain into the jar.. let it set for 48 hours or so... you will then have a nice jar of fish oil as well as some well cured Shad!

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dip a maribou jig with a chenile body to absorb the oil and verticle jig it. No reason why it ownt work.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

If any of you have seen salted herring in a store they have the highest content of fish oil you can get. In eastern NC where I live, herring use to be a big money maker for the commercial fisherman until the laws changed due to the drop in numbers of fish showing up. We do the same thing with herring in a five gallon bucket. You put a layer of salt then a layer of herring, keep layering your fish and salt all the way to the top of the bucket then pour apple vinegar over it.Let it set so the vinegar can work it's self all the way to the bottom that way each layer of fish will be covered with salt and vinegar, that's called pickled herring.We sprinkel cayenne pepper on top of the viniger to keep any bugs from trying to get to the fish. You can take a lid or a piece of clothe to cover it, let it set for 3 or 4 months and then it's ready to eat. The oil of the fish comes to the top and that is a good scent for crappie jigs. When you want to eat the herring you have to take out what ever you want to eat and soak in cold water over night rinse them and soak over night again. Fry until crispy brown and you eat the whole fish,the bones become so soft you never taste them. Sorry to go on and on but thought it might be a little history you might like to know. Makes for a great scent for your baits. Good luck on your scent for your baits.

God Bless

Romans 3:23

Post Thanks / Like

The bad thing is nobody will go with you because of the smell. Just kidding

Post Thanks / Like

New product from eagle claw, fish oil, smells just like sardines in oil, after they've sat out in the sun a few days!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I have some shad oil I bought probably 5 years ago and these guys not only sold shad oil, they had all kinds of stuff. All I will say is when I tried that on a jig, that jig can't go back in the box!
    Back when I bought my shad oil and bummer oil their price was better at something like $8, but seems they have gone up now, but they do have about and kind of oil you could want.

http://www.alltackle.com/attractants.htm

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

wow.. that is high priced smelly stuff!... and yeah I would think that the stuff would make your jig a one day use...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for one of this bottles to burst and get all over the shelves at Walmart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast