Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long lining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining

How far behind the boat do you pull your baits when you long line. I mostly long line but have started spider rigging this year and reading a lot about the way some of you fish for crappie. I know it depends on spead,weight of jigs, what size line you use, and how fast you troll to get the depth you need. I was just courious about the amount of line you let out. Hope you all will respond.

God Bless

Post Thanks / Like

about 35 to 55ft out the farther the line is the deeper it will go + you have your double rigs single with a split shot will make a deference in the depth to good luck its a lot of fun long lining
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Size

Think of line size as yet another form of depth control. The heavier the line, the shallower your offering will track. Depth & speed control is 95% of your presentation.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

very good points i for got put in thanks cresliner08
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

Post Thanks / Like

My home lake is too small for long-lining without lots of hassle, so I added 3/8 oz weights 18" in front of the jigs. With the weights I let out 16' of line which trails the boat by about 11' (to achieve a 10' depth). Now I can make relatively tight turns, plus when I see a school of fish on the sonar I know my baits will be in front of them in just a few seconds. Adjusting my depth is faster too since the jig will respond quicker to changes in line length.

Name:  trolling rig set-up.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  15.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go one good cast

Post Thanks / Like

just try to make a good cast, not a home run. Once you learn how deep your set up runs at certain speeds, then you can adjust one or all the variables (speed, amount of line out, weight, lure(s)) as conditions call for to fine tune the presentation.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.