PDA

View Full Version : Rod Holders! LOL

LY34
11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Just had a crappie.com sponsor e-mail me saying "We have hundred of customers that troll long line out the back...and have never lost a rod." Is it just me or is that funny? I dont care how good a rod holder is, a rod is going to get snatched out every now an then

jake_lusk
11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
im one of the hundreds who havent lost a rod yet Rofl

bfish
11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
im one of the hundreds who havent lost a rod yet Rofl

Never lost one either. Broken lots of them, but yet to loose one overboard.

gabowman
11-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I lost a couple rods before I switched to holders that allow the reels to be placed INSIDE the forks of the holder. As long as I do my part the holders I have now wont allow for another lost rod.....and I aint no sponsor that sells rod holders.

"G"
11-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I have never lost one and I use Hi-Teks.

gospelsinger
11-13-2011, 10:37 PM
x2 " G " and I use HI-TEK also,I long line almost 80% of the time.

Dutch552
11-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I have pulled cranks with Hi-teks and had 15lb catfish hit the rods and they didn't pop out. I use Driftmasters now because I sold my river boat and had a bunch left over and now use the Hi-Teks up front to spider rig with.

Tank 1
11-14-2011, 04:23 AM
I've had 15 pound steelhead slam lures and double rods over, and haven't lost a rod yet (knock on wood).

T.C.
11-14-2011, 07:15 AM
yeah if you longline enough one will pop out everynow and then. I have had 15lb cats hit my rods and not popped out but i have had em pop out and catch em before they fall outta the boat and a 1/4 crappie will be on the line. It has nothing to do with the size of the fish that makes em pop out. If a boat wake comes by just as you get a strike and the rod bounces as the fish pulls.......gooodbye Mr. Rod. I might go for a year and it wont happen then one day it may happen 2 or 3 times. I have NEVER had one pop put spiderrigging, only longlining.

gutbuster
11-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Just had a crappie.com sponsor e-mail me saying "We have hundred of customers that troll long line out the back...and have never lost a rod." Is it just me or is that funny? I dont care how good a rod holder is, a rod is going to get snatched out every now an then

yeah it will def happen if you longline or fish enough, I dont care how good you are..........guess ya gotta spend more time fishing then you do on the internet though.

LY34
11-14-2011, 09:10 AM
All im sayn is it dosent matter what kind of rod holders you have. A rod is going to slide out every once in a while. And 90% of the time its not a fish. It usually happens when making a turn an a jig gets hung on a snag. If the rod is at the same angle as the snag your rod tip wont budge! Its pulling straight on the line an there goes your rod. That guy may have the best holders in the world? I dont know, Never heard of em. Just thought it was a crazy statment. If you pull jigs and pull jigs from the back of your boat you will lose a rod b4 its over with. Promise! Thats y they make rod floats.

monkscrappie
11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Thankfully, the BnM Pro Staffs with Shimano Reels float long enough to be retreived!

Monk Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

bdorman
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
At the grave risk of jinxing my luck....

...I haven't lost any using Tite-Loks

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/main-crappie-fishing-forum/73471-rod-holders-lol-tite-lok-rod-holder.jpg
I set the rod tip height just above parallel to the waterline. Also, I troll with 3/8 oz weights which I think helps (as opposed to long-lining).

Watch this space for my post about losing a rig....

slabdaddy
11-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Been using Driftmasters for 20 yrs and have caught everything from crappie to spoonbill and have never lost a rod yet.

T.C.
11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Not everyone has been in a car accident.....but they do happen. If you havnt lost one be thankful but its kind of silly to say it doesnt happen or that it shouldnt if you are set up right.

FloridaSpeck
11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Titelok=Never Tite, and Never locked!

jeepguyjames
11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
never lost a rod thankfully.....then again I dont nap while I troll :p.......

crappielimits
11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I longline Talquin A.K.A. "The Lumberyard" and before making rod modifications I lost many rods on turns and stumps too. Tried several holders too.

Splitshot82
11-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Titelok=Never Tite, and Never locked!

I disagree. I use Hi Teks now and prefer them, but I never had problems with my Tite Loks that I had previously.

T.C.
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
never lost a rod thankfully.....then again I dont nap while I troll :p.......

You my friend will learn the hard way one day.......ever heard of Karma?

LY34
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Surprised to see that only a few understand what a foolish statement that was. Well not really Thumbs Up

jeepguyjames
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
You my friend will learn the hard way one day.......ever heard of Karma?

sure have....I know that Karma is a belief in the hindu and buddhism religons, needless to say im neither of those so I think Karma is nonsense....to be completely honest the post was more so joking than anything.....BUT....I LL cranks and jigs alot with all my rods out the side of the boat, none out of the back, and the drags set so that line will pull out before a rod comes close....I have hung pretty good, have caught big stripes & catfish and havent ( thankfully ) lost a rod, or even come close....loosen up the shirt coller a little, not trying to be offensive or what ever, but I havent lost a rod and with the system I use I really dont for see doing so.....

skeetbum
11-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Thankfully, the BnM Pro Staffs with Shimano Reels float long enough to be retreived!

Monk Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

Gods honest truth. I found this out first hand, and had a witness.

creekslick
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM
I have one on every rod that I troll with.
BlakemoreŽ Rod Floaters | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__10151_-1_10051_16517____SearchResults)

Jameslin
11-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I also use hi teks rod holders and never lost a rod but couple years ago a c.c member came up with tie wraping a bolt behind the reel it works great knock on wood haven't lost one yet

TDHcrappiemaster
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I have never lost a rod out of a rod holder.... I troll for catfish as well and they really slam it hard.
So I would tend to say that email is correct.

jeepguyjames
11-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I have never lost a rod out of a rod holder.... I troll for catfish as well and they really slam it hard.
So I would tend to say that email is correct.

we drift/troll the Ohio river for big blue cats, man you arent kidding when they hit it they hit it a TON!!!

rcfillingham
11-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I use perotti built and have never lost a rod. I have , however lost 2 wives off the boat:)

crappie4me2
11-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I use Hi Teks and love them! Scott does a great job and he made me a mount for my fish finder.73715

crappielimits
11-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Crappie4me you are set up for what we call pushing or spiderrigging and I have never lost a rod with any holder with this method. Though, longlining straight out the side or directly off the back of the boat will. If a wave or boat wash lifts your rod as you hang up how does the Hi-teks keep the rod? We cut pieces of hangers about three inches, double it up, then bend it in an "L" shape, fix this on the butt of the rod behind the reel with rod wrap or thread and epoxy. Haven't lost one since. Fish pull downward on the rod and the rod assumes the bulk of the shock, so fish very seldom pull a rod off any boat. Try having three rods hung on stump out the side or back in 15 MPH, with boat traffic bouncing the boat, while your boat is trolling 1 MPH+. Then you know what you got in rod holders. If these holders keep the rods from bouncing in traffic then I am interested, they look good and should be the best to remove rods I have seen.

T.C.
11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Crappie4me you are set up for what we call pushing or spiderrigging and I have never lost a rod with any holder with this method. Though, longlining straight out the side or directly off the back of the boat will. If a wave or boat wash lifts your rod as you hang up how does the Hi-teks keep the rod? We cut pieces of hangers about three inches, double it up, then bend it in an "L" shape, fix this on the butt of the rod behind the reel with rod wrap or thread and epoxy. Haven't lost one since. Fish pull downward on the rod and the rod assumes the bulk of the shock, so fish very seldom pull a rod off any boat. Try having three rods hung on stump out the side or back in 15 MPH, with boat traffic bouncing the boat, while your boat is trolling 1 MPH+. Then you know what you got in rod holders. If these holders keep the rods from bouncing in traffic then I am interested, they look good and should be the best to remove rods I have seen.

According to these guys losing rods outta a rodholder doesnt happen. Are you sure you have lost some before? the rods i lost must have been the imaginary person on my boat that i never bump into for some reason.

jeepguyjames
11-19-2011, 10:36 AM
According to these guys losing rods outta a rodholder doesnt happen. Are you sure you have lost some before? the rods i lost must have been the imaginary person on my boat that i never bump into for some reason.

you must have been napping......having a dream about that fishing partner Rofl......

crappie4me2
11-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Yes sir I'm set up for SPIDER RIGGING. I do from time to time pull crank baits on Ky. Lake and I have never had any problems losing a rod doing that. I just posted the picture to show you what the hi teks looks like and to also show the fish finder mount that Scott made me. IMO having the fish finder up keeps my eyes on my poles and not looking down at the fish finder. I know all about being hung up on stumps and yes 3 or 4 poles at a time after all I fish Reelfoot Lake home of the under water cypress trees. You will just have to find what will work for you. I love these rod holders and they are super easy to set the hook with but I'm all about SPIDER RIGGING and these may not be for you. I would contact Brad Whitehead because he side trolls in Bama and is on the BnM Pro Staff. Here is a link to an article on BnM Poles web site. BNM Fishing (http://www.bnmpoles.com/News.aspx?showarticle=123)

crappie4me2
11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Southern Young Gun is this to me or crappielimits?

T.C.
11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
you must have been napping......having a dream about that fishing partner Rofl......

All of us fellas that have lost rods can only hope we are as good as you one day, guess the 20yrs i have been longlining i have been doing it all wrong. Along with every other guy down in the south who fishes the exactly same way. Maybe i should start listening to you more.......after all, you are a 2k star generalRofl

"G"
11-19-2011, 04:04 PM
All of us fellas that have lost rods can only hope we are as good as you one day, guess the 20yrs i have been longlining i have been doing it all wrong. Along with every other guy down in the south who fishes the exactly same way. Maybe i should start listening to you more.......after all, you are a 2k star generalRofl

Been longlining 20 years huh? Guess you started young, lol Heres what your profile says..........Date of Birth June 18, 1985 ( age26)

LY34
11-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Please read the very first post. The guy that e-mailed me didn't mention anything about Spider Rigging in the front of the boat. So to all who spider rig in the front I sure hope you've never lost a rod. That would b pretty crazy! Long lining(aka pulling,fast trolln,or just trolling) on the other hand is a different story. Especially from the back of the boat. When done properly with rod tips close to water rods will get pulled out of a holder. Most of the time when it happens the rod tip doesn't budge. OK example.... Take a rod out in the yard. Run a hook thru something sturdy like a tree or mailbox post. Now with the fishing rod in your hand walk backwards with rod tip pointing straight at whatever u run the hook thru. Now imagine that rod being in a rod holder. I'm not knocking the guys rod holders! All I'm saying is this can happen using any rod holder.

"G"
11-19-2011, 06:53 PM
I pull crank baits at 1.8 mph out of the back of the boat. I also longline jigs out the back of the boat. Never lost a rod....I get hung up, catch big catfish, gar , and stripers sometimes....but the rods stay put. Thing to remember is.....you only point your rods down close to the water when spider rigging or slow trolling off of the front to of the boat. When pulling out the back of the boat you want your rods no lower than parallel with the water ( realy best to be just a little higher than that). If you do this you will not lose any rods. This is the way I do it and its the way that I see other crappie fisherman on the Big four in MS. ......Grenada, Enid, Sardis, and Akabutla do it. Get out in your yard....put a rod in your rod holder parrallel to the ground.........get on out in the yard with the line in your hand........the only way you can pull your rod out is to pull up and out ( be hard for a fish or a hang up to do that). A straight pull from rod holder height off the ground will not do it. Yes People have lost rods out of holders.....sure won't say that there hasn't happened to someone.....but its far and few between.

crappie4me2
11-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I pull crank baits at 1.8 mph out of the back of the boat. I also longline jigs out the back of the boat. Never lost a rod....I get hung up, catch big catfish, gar , and stripers sometimes....but the rods stay put. Thing to remember is.....you only point your rods down close to the water when spider rigging or slow trolling off of the front to of the boat. When pulling out the back of the boat you want your rods no lower than parallel with the water ( realy best to be just a little higher than that). If you do this you will not lose any rods. This is the way I do it and its the way that I see other crappie fisherman on the Big four in MS. ......Grenada, Enid, Sardis, and Akabutla do it. Get out in your yard....put a rod in your rod holder parrallel to the ground.........get on out in the yard with the line in your hand........the only way you can pull your rod out is to pull up and out ( be hard for a fish or a hang up to do that). A straight pull from rod holder height off the ground will not do it. Yes People have lost rods out of holders.....sure won't say that there hasn't happened to someone.....but its far and few between.

Well put G!!

T.C.
11-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Been longlining 20 years huh? Guess you started young, lol Heres what your profile says..........Date of Birth June 18, 1985 ( age26)

ok im 26.....whats your point? Is it unuasual for kids to crappie fish at the age of 6 with their dad? My dad only longlines and he only goes after crappie so when i was 6 i was taggin along. I tagged along before i was 6, just cant really remember much. Been longlining ever since, so yeah i been doin it for 20 yrs.

"G"
11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Good for you. Yep.....you been longlining 20 years then.....sure won't argue with that. A lot of folks on here have been doing it longer than that too and some a lot less. The point is.....we can all learn from each other.

ok im 26.....whats your point? Is it unuasual for kids to crappie fish at the age of 6 with their dad? My dad only longlines and he only goes after crappie so when i was 6 i was taggin along. I tagged along before i was 6, just cant really remember much. Been longlining ever since, so yeah i been doin it for 20 yrs.

blueball
11-19-2011, 07:23 PM
g,thought u modified ur holders some,remember seeing ur holders with a metal bracket attached.when i went to sardis with bigger his rods werent parrallel with the water ,closest pole to the back was the lowest and poles would also dip in the water some as we were fishing.i have never lost a rod but have had them jump out of the holder and point straight up while pulling cranks at 90deg from side of the boat,if noone believes they are welcome to come to bigsandy and i will prove it to u.only happens with my short rods with the linecounter reels up,if i turn the reel down it dont happen

"G"
11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
I did modify some of mine when I first started pulling cranks with out the side at 90 degrees to the boat but I found out that was not really neccessary......but I never did take them off. I still pull off the side at the back of the boat but I have two rods going straight out the back and have not had a problem. Maybe I have just been lucky but it seems like when a fish hits or a hang up occurs.....the harder the pull the tighter the rod gets in the holder....Its kinda a physics thing the angles kinda lock it in.......I use HiTeks by the way.

"G"
11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I have had a rod a few times jump out of the v block at the front of the HiTeks.... butt the rods was still wedged tight by the pull in the back part of the holder and never moved after that.

blueball
11-19-2011, 07:49 PM
i am also one to believe when pulling jigs or cranks,that the closer the rod tip to the water the less tangles.the resistance of the water on the line helps to keep things seperated.what longlining(3 or 4 times) i have tried i have had more tangles than the rest of the boats fishing around me ,so i plan on going lower this year even if i may lose a rod,may have to modify mine also

"G"
11-19-2011, 08:01 PM
If your longlining 90 degrees to the boat off the side you can lower your rod tips down close to the water....and also off the back at a angle....fanned out so to speak.....but straight out the back......its just not wise in my opinion and you need to raise them up some. Some will argue I know but its just what you find comfortable that works for you ,and I told you what works for me.

LY34
11-19-2011, 08:04 PM
The way I was taught was to have the rod tip as close to the water as possible. Jigs get deeper, wind doesn't blow your line. Downside you'll have a rod snatched out of a holder every now a then. All the best trollers I've seen in Ga. Fl. an Al. do it the same way. "G" maybe you could take me out on Grenada or Sardis an show me how yall do it in Miss. though. Wanted to fish there for years now! And yes I agree if your rods are parallel to the water they wont get pulled out.

"G"
11-19-2011, 08:06 PM
I also have my rod holder set up and my rod lengths to where I have at least 4 ft. of separation between all my lines. Some guys opt for two FT. but I would stay tangled that close.

"G"
11-19-2011, 08:09 PM
The way I was taught was to have the rod tip as close to the water as possible. Jigs get deeper, wind doesn't blow your line. Downside you'll have a rod snatched out of a holder every now a then. All the best trollers I've seen in Ga. Fl. an Al. do it the same way. "G" maybe you could take me out on Grenada or Sardis an show me how yall do it in Miss. though. Wanted to fish there for years now! And yes I agree if your rods are parallel to the water they wont get pulled out.

I slow the boat down to go deeper....or let a little more line out....speed up to go faster etc. I am really a crank bait puller but I have been trying longining some in the fall for the past few years......still got a lot to learn. Experimenting and learning is part of the fun of fishing for me.

"G"
11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
If the wind is blowin hard I won't be longlineing....I will pull cranks or put the weights on and spider rig, lol.

LY34
11-19-2011, 08:18 PM
So.... No trip to Grenada or Sardias? lol Never pulled cranks before so I'm all ears

blueball
11-19-2011, 08:18 PM
yeah cranking i would also suggest 4 ft of seperation,but the longliners i see at bigsandy look like the have 2ft seperation and with the rod tips close to the water they are getting no tangles.when i try longlining i use my crank setup and i only have about 33in of seperation and the wind would blow the lines everywhere,this year i may change to 4ft seperation are i will have to lower the rod tips as close to the water as possible ,remember u are going alot slower than when u are cranking

blueball
11-19-2011, 08:19 PM
come to tn in june ,i will take u ,cant guarantee fish,but usually do good

So.... No trip to Grenada or Sardias? lol Never pulled cranks before so I'm all ears

LY34
11-19-2011, 08:28 PM
thanks for tha offer blueball. Grenada has been my dream fishing trip for years now. Its just such a long drive from here. Wouldn't b as bad if I didnt have to drag my heavy boat though..

"G"
11-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I usually run from .5 mph to .8 mph longlining. Yeh we can pull crankbaits when the weather gets warm next year....I usually fish Enid though and know that lake better. most of my long lineing I do on some small state lakes close to home I have one 600 acre lake just 4 miles from me and them a 400 acre one about 14 miles. I used to fish Sardis a lot years ago but for the past several years I have been fishing Enid.....Sometimes I go way south to Okatibee

T.C.
11-19-2011, 11:10 PM
"G" i know we can all learn something from one another, I am always learning. Its just CRAZY for people to get on here and tell people who longline that rods dont come outta holders. I mean c'mon really? Yeah you can longline with rod tips sticking straight up in the air but your gonna have to use fewer poles, have more tangles, let out twice as much line to get your jigs to run deep, and wind is gonna blow all your lines around like crazy. this thread has run its course for me

crappie4me2
11-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Let's just all go get a long neck! :) I'm 95% of the time spider rigging so I really don't have a dog in this hunt since I have only long lined a few times. I only posted my picture to show what the hi teaks looked like. I'm gonna slow troll of this tread and I hope you folks that long line find what your looking for in a pole holder. Good luck and catch plenty of slabs.

blueball
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
lynn,where can i find a longneck sweet tea RoflRoflRofl

Let's just all go get a long neck! :) I'm 95% of the time spider rigging so I really don't have a dog in this hunt since I have only long lined a few times. I only posted my picture to show what the hi teaks looked like. I'm gonna slow troll of this tread and I hope you folks that long line find what your looking for in a pole holder. Good luck and catch plenty of slabs.

crappie4me2
11-20-2011, 10:00 PM
lynn,where can i find a longneck sweet tea RoflRoflRofl
Well we may have to drink that out of a mason jar.:cool:Rofl

jeepguyjames
11-21-2011, 09:07 PM

ah.... again just poking a little fun..... nothing personal....2k general....nah I just have a boring jobHands Clapping

callshy
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
I have had a rod a few times jump out of the v block at the front of the HiTeks.... butt the rods was still wedged tight by the pull in the back part of the holder and never moved after that.

Yep, that the engineering part...

65pontiac
12-18-2011, 02:35 PM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/icons/icon1.png

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by "G" http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/194223-rod-holders-lol-2.html#post1701689)

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/avatars/southern+young+gun.gif?dateline=1272596346 (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/members/southern+young+gun.html)Southern Young Gun (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/members/southern+young+gun.html) http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/statusicon/user-online.png Crappie.com 1K Star General

Join Date Mar 2010 Location Hartsville SC, Middleburg, fl Posts 1,162

yeah yeah your prob right, im slowly becoming a stricktly jig man. Past couple of trips jigs outfished minnows 3 to 1. Its hard to break old habits though, lol

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/avatars/southern+young+gun.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1281869502

T.C.
12-18-2011, 04:04 PM

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by "G" http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/194223-rod-holders-lol-2.html#post1701689)

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/avatars/southern+young+gun.gif?dateline=1272596346 (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/members/southern+young+gun.html)Southern Young Gun (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/members/southern+young+gun.html) http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/statusicon/user-online.png Crappie.com 1K Star General

Join Date Mar 2010 Location Hartsville SC, Middleburg, fl Posts 1,162

yeah yeah your prob right, im slowly becoming a stricktly jig man. Past couple of trips jigs outfished minnows 3 to 1. Its hard to break old habits though, lol

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/avatars/southern+young+gun.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1281869502

whats your point Pontiac?

If you longline mainly are you not supposed to use minnows when times calls for it? And yes that post is correct. Used to in the winter and early spring me and my dad would always use minnows. Longlining was mainly for late spring,summer, and fall. Since i moved down her to Florida i have started vertical jigging more in the winter and spring. Dont understand your post at all. If your trying to discredit me its not gonna happen. Im from SC, where EVERYONE longlines, not like Florda where people have a dumbfounded look on thier face when you tell people at the ramp you caught fish longlining. All they say is "whats that, how do you do it". If you fished twice as hard as you did trying to start stuff with me on here you may actually be able to have a decent fishing trip.

Boone1
12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
I do not longline, but I do spider rig some. I would think it would make a huge difference as to the design of the rod holder itself. I have some that I bought at Wally World that I don't think a rod will pop out of, but I have others that I think would lose a rod for U.

Slabs Inc
12-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Don't trash talk mine. Please?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1479/7046725/13491783/399981689.jpg

bdorman
12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Don't trash talk mine. Please?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1479/7046725/13491783/399981689.jpg

Where are the rods? Did they fall out already?????

Danny W
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I use Hi Teks and love them! Scott does a great job and he made me a mount for my fish finder.http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/main-crappie-fishing-forum/73715-rod-holders-lol-dscn2311.jpg
Pretty cool set up there brother.

Danny W
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Please read the very first post. The guy that e-mailed me didn't mention anything about Spider Rigging in the front of the boat. So to all who spider rig in the front I sure hope you've never lost a rod. That would b pretty crazy! Long lining(aka pulling,fast trolln,or just trolling) on the other hand is a different story. Especially from the back of the boat. When done properly with rod tips close to water rods will get pulled out of a holder. Most of the time when it happens the rod tip doesn't budge. OK example.... Take a rod out in the yard. Run a hook thru something sturdy like a tree or mailbox post. Now with the fishing rod in your hand walk backwards with rod tip pointing straight at whatever u run the hook thru. Now imagine that rod being in a rod holder. I'm not knocking the guys rod holders! All I'm saying is this can happen using any rod holder.

This is true crazy stuff does happen. But if you have your drag is set rite and your rod holders are set to the side and not back you shouldn't lose any. Or it shouldn't be common anyway.

Slabs Inc
12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I can't say, I might hurt my feelings since I'm the one who made them. Plus i dont want to start a big episode about how my other personality builds a better one. Lol

Fishorhunt
12-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Knock on wood I've never lost a rod trolling for crappie. I have "dredged" up 2 rod/reels while crappie fishing and both looked to have been lost that day. 1 had a big crappie attached to the other end and the other was hung on a snag. I have lost a couple of rods while catfishing before I got my rod holders and I lost 1 last year while night fishing under lights for trout. About an hour later I caught a trout and while unhooking it I saw another line coming out of it's mouth. Honest to Pete the line was attached to my rod and I got it back. I even have a witness to it. Talk about luck. LOL!!! I don't have enough rod holders for all the rods I put out so it does worry me sometimes.

gutbuster
12-20-2011, 06:51 AM
This is true crazy stuff does happen. But if you have your drag is set rite and your rod holders are set to the side and not back you shouldn't lose any. Or it shouldn't be common anyway.

All of your rods cant be turned to the side. If so you are not covering the water directly begind the boat. I fish 6 outta the back, 6 outta the front. The front has my long rods, i fish a 20', 16', and 12' upfront now on each side and the back has 2 8's straight out the side, 2 6's angled slightly back, and 2 more 6' stright out of the back. This way i cover everydrop of water i go over. You dont have to fish out of the back but it sure does help.

Buckie02
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Just bought Driftmaster T-250-H. will let you know how they do.

blueball
12-21-2011, 10:25 AM
All of your rods cant be turned to the side. If so you are not covering the water directly begind the boat. I fish 6 outta the back, 6 outta the front. The front has my long rods, i fish a 20', 16', and 12' upfront now on each side and the back has 2 8's straight out the side, 2 6's angled slightly back, and 2 more 6' stright out of the back. This way i cover everydrop of water i go over. You dont have to fish out of the back but it sure does help.
u spigerrigging,i pull cranks with my rods out the side,u have to have plenty of seperation between ur lines or they will tangle,

crappielimits
12-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Come on man! You must not have ever actually longline trolled, not pushing or tightlining. If you don't spread rods apart they tangle. I start with a 14 then a 12 ,then 10 and 8 out the front and when someone out the back I use 8 footers or less. The rods in the back have to be straight out and as low to the water as possible to prevent tangles, when reeling in slabs. Not to mention turns.

LY34
12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
It dosent matter what kind of holder u have!!! If u long line troll, especially from the rear of the boat, you will have a rod come out. The only way this will not happen is to have your reel in or behind the holder, which makes it tuff to remove once a fish is on. Once again this is Long Line Trolling. Not pushing jigs, tight lining, pulling cranks. Its not a knock on a rod holder if a rod pops out. It happens. But for a rod holder salesperson to say "Nobody has ever lost a rod using our holders" is laughable! I'm amazed that there's only a few people on Crappie.com that understand this.

T.C.
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Amen to the last 2 and gutbuster. If ya aint fishing straight out the back ya aint longlining right. People who dont do it or people who think they are doing it but really arent will not understand. Come on down south fellas we will show ya how its done. Heck, yall can prob show us a few things but longlining we got covered.

jeepguyjames
12-21-2011, 08:18 PM
:deadhorse

T.C.
12-21-2011, 08:54 PM
:deadhorse

LOL, i knew you would like this comment.

jeepguyjames
12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
LOL, i knew you would like this comment.

rotfl........ well done.....have a merry Christmas!!!!