Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rigging line questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default rigging line questions

Probably a pretty basic questions but I wonder if someone could give me some tips for rigging up my line.

I've been using a swivel to attach my jigs. Is it better to attach the jig directly to the line? It's much quicker to change jigs, colors and stuff if I have a swivel to quickly change but a guy told me that the swivel could effect the presentation.

Also do most of you guys use a leader of different weight line? Like 6 to 4lb test? I've been using a single line but have lost the works when I got hung up.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Probably a pretty basic questions but I wonder if someone could give me some tips for rigging up my line.

I've been using a swivel to attach my jigs. Is it better to attach the jig directly to the line? It's much quicker to change jigs, colors and stuff if I have a swivel to quickly change but a guy told me that the swivel could effect the presentation.

Also do most of you guys use a leader of different weight line? Like 6 to 4lb test? I've been using a single line but have lost the works when I got hung up.
    I tie direct. No leader just straight 4# test line. I usea light wire hook when making my jigs so the hook will bend when hung. I make most all my jigs using Blood red, Black or Gold Aberdeen. Just started making my own jigs but found a good light wire Aberdeen jig hook online in Texas.

duane
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Default Straight to the hook

I tie directly to the hook also, I have always thought snap swivel my spook a shy fish from biting. I use a braided line and you have to use a palomar knot. I also try to have several rods rigged up with different color of jigs on. That way you dont spend time retying to find the right patttern and more time yellin for the net!
    Last edited by TAE73; 11-12-2004 at 02:01 PM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Went to Wappapello this afternoon. Very windy and cold. Few hits but didn't catch anything. Seems the lake level is much lower than 3 days ago. Got hung up on a few times where I never got hung up before.

If I'm going to tie on direct VS using a snap-swivel I'd better get quicker at tieing off the hook. My fat fingers were pretty cold and numb today.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabor

You might want to look at stabor connectors. I know that they are used by crappie fisherman. And they put on one heck of a crappie tournament at Truman. They are just straight connection, no swivel which sometimes can be tough to tie to the line. Because as you twist the line they want to twist back the opposite way you are twisting. I have never used this but the could be another choice for ya. When the weather turns cold its tough for all of us to tie the line. Here is the website. www.stabor.com
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll check out the site.

We're just getting into fishing again after having spent the past 10 years in China and Taiwan. Got to tell you it's really nice to be back home and outdoors again.

I used to fish a lot about 20 years ago, but work got in the way for the past 10 +. My wife and I have really enjoyed the past two months of fishing. I noticed a few old timers Crappie fishing and wandered over to speak with them. Kind of got interested in it so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks a lot for the advice and comments. I'm checking this message board often now and look forward to exchanging info.

Hopefully my wife and I can get in a tournament next year when we have the confidence. Sounds like a fun time.

Post Thanks / Like

i tie directly to the lure as well. seems that a swivel is just more trouble as much as i get hung and i too believe they would spook the fish. another tip that my dad taught me is to straighten the hook and rebend it before fishing. this makes it much easier to pull off of brush and stumps when hung up. i'm like ted because i also have 3 or more poles rigged with different jigs to keep from retying.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamr
    i tie directly to the lure as well. seems that a swivel is just more trouble as much as i get hung and i too believe they would spook the fish. another tip that my dad taught me is to straighten the hook and rebend it before fishing. this makes it much easier to pull off of brush and stumps when hung up. i'm like ted because i also have 3 or more poles rigged with different jigs to keep from retying.
    Thanks! I'm going to use these tips.

I may have asked this before but I wonder what you guys think of a G3 PF165 boat?

It's a 2001, very clean with a like new 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Has trolling motor but is missing the finder. Trailer looks brand new. Dealer wants $6800 for it. My wife and I are shopping around for a boat and this one looks nice. I just don't have a clue what boats are pricing out at.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hoot

Check out www.nada.com you can research the price of the boat and motor. I dont know much about the g3 boats, but they are made in lebanon, mo. Also is this boat at a dealer or is a person selling it. Either way I would take it to a marine shop and have them look over the motor. They can do compression test to make sure all the cycliners are in good shape. Also some motors have computers on them they can also tell how the motor has been run. You might also ask what kind of maintance there needs to performed on the 4 stroke and what the cost are. I know they need to have the oil changed like your car would. And not having a fish finder on the trolling motor is not to much of a problem. You can mount one yourself in a couple of hours, most fish finders for a decent one run 100 to 200 bucks
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Default G3 boat

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Thanks! I'm going to use these tips.

I may have asked this before but I wonder what you guys think of a G3 PF165 boat?

It's a 2001, very clean with a like new 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Has trolling motor but is missing the finder. Trailer looks brand new. Dealer wants $6800 for it. My wife and I are shopping around for a boat and this one looks nice. I just don't have a clue what boats are pricing out at.

Thanks
    Is that a good deal? That up to you. I can tell you what I paid in 2002 for a 2001 G3 Pro 170 boat with a 2002 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha and a 2001 trailer. We paid $7800. Everything was new. That was in August of 2002. Wished now I would have gotten the 60 hp.

My boat runs about 30-32mph. I am a big guy (375lbs) I think the 60hp would have been a better choice for the weight, plus my boat was a 21 gal gas tank and a lafge live well all in the rear of the boat. So with all that weight in the rear it takes me longer to hit plane. If I am alone in the boat I do not have any problem or if I sit forward and let someone else drive we are ok. I hardly ever fill the big fuel tank any more, I keep it at ½ most of the time.

If I was to buy a new boat right now it would be a G3 Eagle Series 175PF with a 60 or 70hp Yamaha. I do like that Eagle 165PF boat with that stick steering, great little fishing boat, but I like stick steering myself. My dad had one when I was a teenage and loved that boat, caught a lot of bass out of it.

Hope this helps you.
    duane
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast