Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default What trolling motor

With 18 ft aluminum semi v aluminum boat and new to Crappie fishing. New order boat. I at this time am going 70 24 volt min Kota. Should I go with this one or terrnova or 80 fortex or what?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

On my 18 ft. deep V aluminum boat, I am using a 80 LB. 24 volt MinnKota Terrova with I-Pilot.....It does great.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If youre gonna troll you DEFINITELY want the I-pilot.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The I pilot is great but the 70lb motor has less amperage draw than the 80lb motors so your Batteries will last longer. That was the advice of a guide I used and he said his batteries last all day and the guys with the bigger motors were having to carry extras. My 70lb moves my bass boat at almost 3mph on the gps. There was a thread in the electronics/TM section on this recently. Have fun setting up the new rig.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "g" View Post
    on my 18 ft. Deep v aluminum boat, i am using a 80 lb. 24 volt minnkota terrova with i-pilot.....it does great.
    x2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 18' glass with an 80# Fortrex. I mostly slow troll. The Terrova must be very nice but I prefer the cable steer of the Fortrex. The biggest reason is I've been using a cable steer t.m. for many years and I found it difficult to change to the slower reaction time of the Power Drives.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish outta a deep v...about a month or so ago I put on a 60 in shaft-70lb thrust -24v I-pilot, and think its the best thing since sliced bread....plenty of power, will push my boat a little over 3mph at full power, and can make it crawl also, pretty easy on the batteries to.....one things for sure with a deep v make sure you get one with a long enough shaft.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

goofy 1, if you are going to do all type of crappie fishing and are use to a cable tm, my advice is stick with 70-24 volts, thats what I have on my Tracker. T he terrnova is best for trolling, but it will not let you jig over brush in much wind nor will it hold you right to shoot docks in angel wind. With cable in 25-30 mph wind I can hold boat over brush and jig strait down in creeks.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any trouble holding over brush in 20 mph and I have a terrova on a bass tracker,,, it just takes practice and the ability to adapt and change,,,, start a bit early and stop a bit short, and ease in,,,, it really is just a matter of choice, and some chose cable,some don't it all good,

Post Thanks / Like

I am going with 70 because I am used to it from bass boats. I am going power pole and much other upgrades. Maybe in the future I may change. Can't wait to learn how to really fish for crappie. I love to catch sand bass and stripers and hybrids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast