Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion On Barrel Swivels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinion On Barrel Swivels

Need some opinions from you all on using barrell swivels. I longline most of the time with jigs,I am just now starting to spider rig some also. I ty loop knots most of the time with out using swivels and I will ty a polymer knot sometimes with out a swivel. I use 6lb line most of the time,so I am just curious to how some of you ty on your baits. I have an I-Pilot TM to troll with. The water here where I live is only 8 to 10 feet with a lot of cypres stumps in the creeks. Thanks guys in advance for your help,and would also like to take the time to tell everybody how kind you all are on this website.

Take a kid fishing

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not use swivels with jigs....I use the loop knot
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I use swivels just for the line when It is twisting when a fish is on it.
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

For casting and jigging I tie directly to the running line using either a Palomar knot or a loop knot depending on the type of jig head. Those that hang horizontal or close to that by themselves, like a lot of ice jigs do get the loop which gives more freedom to the jig movement. Others get the Palomar since I can adjust that on the hook eye to produce the horizontal hang I prefer when jigging. I do not use a swivel for crappie fishing, due to the interference that produces in reading what is happening to the light jigheads I use.
    Last edited by no1son; 11-11-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the loop knot for my jigs. Hasn't failed me yet

You do not cease to fish because you get old, You get old because you cease to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I use swivel snaps because 1) I change jigs often and don't like to retie and 2) I use leaders on my trolling lines and like to keep it at a fixed length; cutting and retying would shorten the length of the leader each time 3) seems like some of my jigs are prone to turning over in the water which creates line twist.

The fish don't seem to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Sampo Ball Bearing swivels to attach flourocarbon leader to my main line and then tie directly to my bait. I do not use snaps.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I verticle jig using big baits. I put a hard knot on my bait to make it hang out, but use a leader with a barrel swivel to remove twist.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellows for your opinions on this. I use the loop knot almost all the time and just wanted to make sure I was on the same page with most everybody's way of fishing for the crappie. Like most of you that use a barrel swivel when using a leader to tie to the main line I also do that or if for some reason the line is twisting. Thanks again guys for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

the pond near my house is the same and iv been tearing them up longlining with 7 rods. i use 6 lb stren magnathin with a 4 lb floro leader tied together with back to back slip knots. i dont use a swivel cause its just another thing to get tangled and catch weeds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast