Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beetle spins for gills....

NTRotty Guest

Default beetle spins for gills....

Anyone use them with success? If so, what size and favorite color(s).

Do you ever use grubs in place of factory plastic bodies?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. The white ones with the red dot mostly. I think they are something like a 1/32 oz. with a small silver spinner blade. If I want to fish them deeper, I just put a small egg weight on the line in front of them. Black with chartreuse stripes has been pretty good for me also.

No. I haven't used grubs instead of the plastic bodies.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is all I use for gils and white perch. I might sometimes add a little piece of bait shrimp or better yet grass shrimp when I can get them. Here are my favorites. 1/16 ox jig, size 0 spinner. The baits are aboit 1¼ in long.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use spinners with a jig. It has never let me down. I get bored with the ole bobber fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beetle Spin's

1/32nd oz in purple or yellow, I always used - and retrieve very-very slow, only enough to keep the spinner slowly turning. Now, I strictly flyfish for them and find that works better than beetle's ever did.

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm not fishing with my fly rod, beetle spins are the only thing I use to bluegill fish. You just can't beat those 1lb. gills hammering those micro lights with a beetle spin on. I use them when the fish are still in 5-8ft. or after they all off the beds and back out. I weight my buggers for my fly rod, but when the wind gets up, its tough to stay close enough to wait for them to get into the strike zone. I give the Johnson Beetle spins a great big thumbs up!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beetle Spins

Folks down this way like the small bettle spin in black & yellow for brim
    fishing.

Use a 10lb line or less on a zebco 33 and cathch e'm

Smackover

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler
    Yes. The white ones with the red dot mostly. I think they are something like a 1/32 oz. with a small silver spinner blade. If I want to fish them deeper, I just put a small egg weight on the line in front of them. Black with chartreuse stripes has been pretty good for me also.

No. I haven't used grubs instead of the plastic bodies.
    These are the same one's I use in the south. They are the best ones to locate fish (at least in my area).:D

Another tip that I would give is to use the silver spinners when the sun is out and shining bright and use the gold spinners when it is overcast or raining. Don't ask me why one works better in the sun while the other works better when overcast but I have proved it time and time again. I have been fishing the silver when it was overcast and only managed to get a few hits and switched to the gold and started tearing them up. I have also done the opposite (gold to silver).
    Hope this helps,
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Beetle Spins are EXCELLENT for bluegill. I've used them for years. A little Mepps or Rooster Tail is good, too. A tiny Rebel crawfish is great, too. Those, plus a black jig is really all I use for them. I am primarily a jig fisherman, so I buy the little spinners in silver and gold at Wal-Mart, and just attach a jig from the box. Hard to beat.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Beetle Spins are similar to Road Runners in that they will catch about anything. I use them alot and catch crappie, bass, bream, catfish, drum, and gar. They sure are hard to beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast