Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I that Bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I that Bad?

Went crappie fishing today, great day until about 1:30. The wind got to blowing and temperture dropped 15 degrees.Fish all over depthfinder, even with sensitivity turned down. I tried 1/32 oz. jigs in various colors and hand tied hair jigs. Got 1 bite. Caught 1 crappie about 11 inches. Couldn't catch them at places I had caught them in the past. Tried several new places,same result. I am not a full moon fisherman but try to go anytime I can. Had a great time anyway.I got home and talked with my brother, fishing at Sante Cooper in South Carolina ,about 6 and a half hours away from me. He said the weather was great and they caught over 100, some over 2 pounds. Was it the weather, or am I just a poor crappie fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes with a drastic drop in the weather like that it gives the fish lockjaw but and sometimes i refer to the saying. ( it's called fishing not catching) it has happen to all of us bad day of fishing is better than any
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Doubt that's it cause you're bad. Probly just the difference in locale. Cold fronts are known to shut em down and while wind doesn't affect the bite, it definitely impacts your presentation. If fish aren't overly aggressive it can be tough to fish "slow enough" in the wind.

I only worry when it seems like everybody is catching more than me on the same body of water..... Wait a minute.... I worry every spring...

Post Thanks / Like

Watch Glen Lau's Big Mouth video and you can see what a cold front will do to fish. Just keep fishing, everyday I spend on the water I learn something.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

We seen that yesterday too. The screen was full of fish and they wouldn't hit anything, including minnows...

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me last weekend. Cold front came in on Friday and fishing on Saturday was the pits. Where I had been catching 40 - 60 crappie with 10 - 16 keepers I only caught 1 crappie and 1 bass neither of which was even close to keeper size. It's not the fisherman it's the fish. When they shutdown it's hard to pry there mouths back open till they are ready.

You do not cease to fish because you get old, You get old because you cease to fish

Post Thanks / Like

There ain't any bad fishing days, just slow ones.
    There ain't any bad fishermen, just some of us that aren't as far along the learning curve as others.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard to all
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement. I know weather is a big factor.I will keep on after them. Seems others have had the same problem. I love to challenge these guys. I guess yesterday was just a learning process. Thanks again to everyone.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a chance that all the stuff on the screen was not fish, but debris from turnover or leaves and pine tags suspended in the water column.

Dayton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast