Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winds too strong

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winds too strong

Been looking at the forecast for the today and Veteran's Day for the past week. Finally thought today would be perfect with clear skies, winds out of the west-southwest at 5 to 10 mph and temps in the upper 40's. Did a lot of reading on fall fishing and where the fish might be. I figured at Walnut Creek, the best place would be along the eastside rock beds where the sun shines the most and fish would likely be since rocks hold warmth the best during the fall/winter transition. Also heard the like to be near the northern banks and coves.

First thing right off the bat was the gusty winds out of the north-northwest between 15 - 20 mph. Definitely was a downer seeing how they didn't let up. But i used a few Rat L-traps on 10lb braid. I got two hits. first one appeared to be a bluegill or crappie, it came off the line as i tried to keep it clear of the weeds and brush that line the short. Second hit was a lot tougher, i don't know what i snagged, but it put up a good fight until about halfway to the shore when i guess the line got caught on rock or log. I was able to free it but the fish came off, when i brought it back in, i noticed one of the hooks on the back treble was bent, so i took my pliers and bent it back.

Didn't get to try out the new hand tied jigs i got, seeing how strong the wind was. Hopefully if the forecast holds true tomorrow. 60's light winds 5 - 10 mph out of the south, I'll be able to use them and see what bites. Still waiting for my orders from TulsaTackle and Microspoons. Maybe I will get them tomorrow in time for the good weather.

You know fishing is still good, when you can put your hands in the lake water and feel them getting warmer than letting the chilly wind get to them.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife & I also fished today. It was terrible windy, and it snowed. We were trying to get some Perch, we got all small one's and then got too cold to fish anymore. Need a day with less wind...

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Spent Veteran's Day with a few old high school buddies who are either in the service or no longer in the service out at Rockford SRA southeast of Beatrice NE. Had an awesome day fishing. We pulled in about 35 fish. An assortment of crappie, walleye, and bass. Didn't take my phone with me so i didn't have pictures. We released everything back into the water, but it was a great way to spend Veteran's Day. Probably go fishing again Saturday afternoon after the game. My order came in from bobby garland, they look great, probably have to do some modifications on the spider grubs though.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That wind is a definite show stopper. Hope you get better days to fish soon.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind wasn't much of a problem yesterday and today.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind today was pretty good-better than the fishing. We got 17 Perch, but really had to work for themm...

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    Spent Veteran's Day with a few old high school buddies who are either in the service or no longer in the service out at Rockford SRA southeast of Beatrice NE. Had an awesome day fishing. We pulled in about 35 fish. An assortment of crappie, walleye, and bass. Didn't take my phone with me so i didn't have pictures. We released everything back into the water, but it was a great way to spend Veteran's Day. Probably go fishing again Saturday afternoon after the game. My order came in from bobby garland, they look great, probably have to do some modifications on the spider grubs though.
    Bobby Garland makes great crappie baits, really like the slabslayer baits, the 3 inch looks big but works great on crappie. Surprised you did that good at Rockford...did not know it was that good...what kind of techniques were you using. I've never fished it but have talked to alot of folks who have fished it thru the years and don't remember anyone talk about catching walleyes out there...you must be doing something right, keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like

We were using a carolina rig. i bought a kit from EB when he had his garage sale a few weeks back, so i got my chance to use it. We used minnows for the crappie, i used some plastic powerbait grubs i had bought a while back with a yellow jighead when the minnows ran out. We really didn't catch the crappie/bluegill until late in the afternoon as the sun was going down.