Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie reels

i got a shakespere 2500 on all my rods and im looking to upgrade to a good reel thet wont break the bank. i tried the crappie maxx spinning reels and they worked ok...for a few days. i got one and the line roller didnt work so it twister ly line up like crazy and the other is kinda sluggish (probally needs cleaning) but im just looking for somethng nice

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Shimano IX-2000R looks like a good reel for the money. You can find 'em for $10 apiece.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Quantum snapshot ss10, have several, prices vary on ebay but got from $10 to $25 depending on where.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Far as breaking the bank, that's usually a different breaking point for everyone so I'm not sure what your price range is. All my longer jig poles I do use the crappie maxx reels. I also have one of the afor mentioned shimanos for one of my beater truck rods. Now as far as a "nice" real for around $50ish if you can swing that much, the pflueger president is amazing. If it is a reel that I actually cast some aside from just dropping a jig down, that's the only reel I use. I have quite a few of these and am nothing but impressed. I know use to a $30ish Abu Garcia was nice but seems last few years all the ones I bought fell apart after a year or two.

Post Thanks / Like

For shooting docks I use a Shimano syncopate 2500 trigger reel. Just picked up a Supercaster 180sx by US Reel so the verdict is still out on this one. Sure operates nice tho. I like a light reel with a large diameter spool. It definitely makes for less line memory and longer shots under the docks. Seems like a smoother operating reel enables me to feel the lighter more delicate tics that crappie can do when finicky. To me it doesn't matter on my jigging poles, since I don't cast or shoot with them. So an underspin from pflueger , zebco, etc works just fine for that.

You do not cease to fish because you get old, You get old because you cease to fish

Post Thanks / Like

A surprisingly good UL open water reel is the Jason Mitchell ice reel, with a bit larger diameter, shallower spool to reduce line twist, and instant anti-reverse. I used one all this past summer and liked it. It has a bit less line capacity than most for its size but there was great plenty enough space for the 4# line I use, even when handling a moderately oversized bonus gamefish.

You will have a tough time beating the Pfleugers with anything in their price range though. You hear nothing but good about the Presidents if they fit into your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like every Zebco spincast I have gotten for my rods have just come apart ,the gears in the thing just fall apart, so most of my reels are Pflueger, last much longer !!!! I don"t even look at the Zebco even if they are on Sell , but thats just me ,
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jake_lusk View Post
    i got a shakespere 2500 on all my rods and im looking to upgrade to a good reel thet wont break the bank. i tried the crappie maxx spinning reels and they worked ok...for a few days. i got one and the line roller didnt work so it twister ly line up like crazy and the other is kinda sluggish (probally needs cleaning) but im just looking for somethng nice

X2...I have used one of these for years and years had no problems. I keep wanting to go buy a nicer one to replace it....but then I realize there is nothing wrong with it, so it remains. It's been dropped in water, sand, mud, left in the rain,taken apart, put back together and hasn't skipped a beat.
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Okuma Ignite 10. Amazon, 25 bucks today.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mitchell Avocet reels are about $20 in wally. I have a couple and like em fine. My Phlueger president is real smooth, but a few more bucks. For less than $15, Diawa has one called the sweepfire that I have a few of that are good for my long rods.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast