PDA

View Full Version : Would you drive 250 miles to go to your company's Christmas party?

TapOut64
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I need a great excuse to get out of my company's Christmas party. It is near Smith Mountain Lake which is a four hour drive for me. My company would pay for my hotel but it's basically just dinner and drinks. I always fish on Saturday and if I went would only be able to fish until around noon which for me is reason enough not to go. I feel pressure by the boss to attend. I went two years ago but skipped last year. I just can't get excited about driving that far on Saturday, ruining my day, and then returning Sunday morning. Would you do it? Got any great bullet proof excuses?

Corker
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Tell the boss you're Jewish?

Percidae_Papermouth
11-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Strept throat??? I wouldnt... sounds like a hassle to me.

jim.b
11-08-2011, 05:33 AM
i would go to the party and fish kerr on the way home. you have to keep your boss happy.

HeyCharlie
11-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Your wifes best friends birthday party is on same day.. wife trumps boss

Ranger690
11-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't want to go either. But, if you are getting pressure, go friday night and take the boat. Fish SML Saturday, put it on the trailer in time for the party.
If your wife is not real thrilled with the trip, drop her off here on your way thru!
Dayton

PanMan_VA
11-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Take your boat up Friday evening and fish SML Saturday before the party.

BigRiverMarine
11-09-2011, 11:34 AM
With pressure, I would go. Jobs are hard to find now, and you are not irreplaceable. LOL

Boscoe
11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
With pressure, I would go. Jobs are hard to find now, and you are not irreplaceable. LOL
Not irreplaceable but scary enough I wouldn't want to be the one to fire him!

crappiefarmer
11-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Deal with the crap Tap and go to the meeting. Carry Your boat, fish Sat. morning, stay overnight and fish some of Sunday too. Make a weekend out of it. Keep the boss happy too and keep yourself off of the replacement radar screen. Sounds like a bunch of **** to me too.CF

gabowman
11-10-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm in the general consensus as the others, especially this day and time.:rolleyes: Take your boat along and make a weekend out of it.

Just a thought...burn a vacation day on Friday and let that be your "Saturday" trip, then head to the party.Thumbs Up

CrappieMasterboats
11-10-2011, 08:11 AM
I cant stand company events that pull me away from what I want to be doing. We show appreciation to our employees and families through the whole year, not just at holiday time, and we don't do it in any way that pulls them away from enjoying the life they have outside of work. I don't know what line of work your in but like Big River said, you gotta weigh out any cost on your job. Don't take chances right now. We've been doing some hiring and when I post a position opening, I get bombarded with responses from engineers to high school grads. I feel bad that I can't hire all of them.

crappiefarmer
11-10-2011, 08:45 PM
As an outsider, being self employed, looking at a situation where the boss pressures employees to attend functions at non business hours at long distances away sounds to me like a big a$$ kissing contest. If I wanted to hold a function for my employees, it would be for their benefit. Do something they would all enjoy and close to home. But, if I was the employee in the before mentioned situation, I reckon I would go. Maybe not a$$ kiss but would at least make myself seen and try to make the most of the rest of the season. One fringe benefit of being self employed is that You don't have to take any crap from anyone. You can burn any bridge or keep it and just not use it anymore and carry your business elsewhere. Another fringe benefit is that if people need your business, they will kiss your rear end and You can tell who the people are who are really interested in your business. But if Your an employee, You have to go with the flow. One fringe benefit of being an employee in most cases is that You have more time off and can actually make plans for days off. I see that as a huge benefit as I am working 12 to 14 hour days right now and 7 days a week.CF

TapOut64
11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I think rather than make an excuse to get out of the party I am going to try to get Monday off to fish. Kind of hard to make plans to take my boat 250 miles away without any idea what the weather will be like. The winds could be gusting to 30mph and temps could be in the 30's. Can't say I really feel like towing my boat for 8 hours plus round trip anyways. Thanks for all the input.

undertheradar
11-14-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm glad I work for the gov't as they dont care enough about ya to throw a party or have fringe benefits. I wouldnt go to the party unless it was directly after my work shift or during working hours.

TapOut64
11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
OK, I negotiated Monday, Dec. 12 off so all is well in the universe.

HeyCharlie
11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm glad I work for the gov't as they dont care enough about ya to throw a party or have fringe benefits. I wouldnt go to the party unless it was directly after my work shift or during working hours.
I remember once, I was forced to attend a thing for Gov. Robb,, (because) they needed "normal"people for the TV camera's.. ( little did they know)
When I added time this event took-- to my timesheet -- it caused quite a stir.. They even tried to say I was adding unautorized time to timesheet, but I had them there, because I was directed to go to event by my supervisor ( with other employees hearing it) I was given equal amount of leave time.

HeyCharlie
11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
During Gov.Robb's reign of terror on state employees,, we had started softball teams at the Maintainance division. Gov.Robb challenged our team to a game! ( was supposed to be members of his staff- but he drafted most players from State police) ( I know because I fished with many of SP that played) I remember my helper (asst HVACmech) was playing 2nd base when Gov. Robb rounded first running hard at 2nd base. My man caught the ball and Robb thought he could just run him over. ( maybe knock ball loose?) . Well :) :) to everyone on our team and many others' excitment and loud cheers.. Robb ended up -being upended and layed out flat in the dirt, with wind knocked out of him!! LOL ( Gov team also lost the game)