Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC trees

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PVC trees

How good and/or bad have you done with pvc trees. I made 5 and stuck em in my favorite water, but have not fished them yet. Getting kind of excited to try em out.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I would advise anyone sinking brushpiles in the waters of the State of Illinois check into the legality of such activity before posting on a message board about it. I have been told by a game warden that I know reads this board that it is illegal. Of course, he knows that such things do have a way of happening without his knowledge. I am not admitting I put out brushpiles, but if I did, I wouldn't make it public knowledge and I would do it in a way that few folks would know about it. Of course, I personally wouldn't want everyone to know about them even if it was legal.
    Now, if you want to post the GPS cordinates on this board, I am sure some folks would love to find out if they are holding any fish.:D

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice Redtick. Luckily, my trees are in a private property stone quarry! :D

Post Thanks / Like

here in missouri we don't have that problem, at least not that i am aware of. anyway, the pvc trees seem to do really well for me. i think the secret is to use the darkest pipe you can find and then take a really heavy grit sandpaper to it. scar the crap out of it so algae can grow on it easier and it will be covered in 2 weeks under the right conditions. if you sink a cedar within 5 feet of them they work even better! that is of course assuming that the state allows such mischevious activities. to the cpo that may be reading the board, check my profile and if you are who i think you might be, pm me. otherwise, be safe.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    I would advise anyone sinking brushpiles in the waters of the State of Illinois check into the legality of such activity before posting on a message board about it. I have been told by a game warden that I know reads this board that it is illegal. Of course, he knows that such things do have a way of happening without his knowledge. I am not admitting I put out brushpiles, but if I did, I wouldn't make it public knowledge and I would do it in a way that few folks would know about it. Of course, I personally wouldn't want everyone to know about them even if it was legal.
    Now, if you want to post the GPS cordinates on this board, I am sure some folks would love to find out if they are holding any fish.:D
    Any idea why this is? Just came gack from Ms and everybody is putting stuff into the lake, even the corps.
    About all of this structur seems to work well with stake beds doing the best . IMO We need to get the corp involved in this and encourage it. You would think all corp would be on the same page.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that State property managers want to closely regulate their properties (lakes) for many reason.

If you were to put a underwater obstical into a lake and some decided to dive out of the boat into what they though was deep open water and they struck their head on the top of a PVC crappie three they may get injured. Or a water skier that fell in shallow water and gets impailed by a steak bed.

For many reason the regulate things put in the lake.

Some DNR's actually put out brush piles for the public and mark them with visible buoys.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL
    Any idea why this is? Just came gack from Ms and everybody is putting stuff into the lake, even the corps.
    About all of this structur seems to work well with stake beds doing the best . IMO We need to get the corp involved in this and encourage it. You would think all corp would be on the same page.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I would think that State property managers want to closely regulate their properties (lakes) for many reason.

If you were to put a underwater obstical into a lake and some decided to dive out of the boat into what they though was deep open water and they struck their head on the top of a PVC crappie three they may get injured. Or a water skier that fell in shallow water and gets impailed by a steak bed.

For many reason the regulate things put in the lake.

Some DNR's actually put out brush piles for the public and mark them with visible buoys.
    Don't think you will find divers or skiers in 3' of water. Most of structure is placed where these things can't happen, back of coves is one of them along shore line is another.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pvc...

As Moose stated..., Land Managers and Biologist have a strong interest in whats being put in the lakes. In Illinois.., guidance can be found in the Fish Protection part of the State Law. To simply say O.K. ..., opens the door to navigation hazards, pollution. Many of our power plant lakes prefer stuff not end up in the intakes. Most biologist/ land mnagers I have delt with are open minded if allowed to look at what is proposed. Many have experience and may offer some good ideas. They see the whole picture versus creating a "honey hole". I hope some day that they would just develope and publish a guidline for what is acceptable and use that. They then could involve civic groups like the scouts and fishing clubs who are looking for inhancement profects.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pvc Trees

I Can,t See For The Life Of Me Why The St. Of Il. Is Against Planting Brush

Just Got Back From My First Trip To Ky. Lk. --there Has To Be Thousands Of Attractors In There With The State Marking Theirs
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

it's probably because we haven't asked the right people to consider it, with enough people asking maybe it could be approved on a limited basis.our biologist didn't come out and say it, but we asked about the left over weights after the tree drop and he said they'll use them next year,"if we ever do it again".
    went to Kentucky Lake this spring, after cleaning the fish we were told to dump the leftovers in the lake. It just about made me sick, but they said every one is asked to. the DNR wants you to. don't try it here. same with stakebeds. go figure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast