Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fall water temp question??

Post Thanks / Like

Default fall water temp question??

Hello all, I live in ohio and have been wondering a little something so here she goes. DO THE FISH RUN FOR THE COOLER WATER TEMPS WHEN FISHING LAKES AND CREEKS THIS TIME OF YEAR?? There is a reason I ask this by the way. well, because im having trouble finding fish in the creeks off the ohio river and it would help to know if there wanting the warmer h20 temps or cooler.......... The mouths of the creeks Im seeing 52 temp and temp slowly drops as you get back to the backs of the creeks all the way down to 47 tem in some spots.

I know they run for warm h20 in the spring but what they want in the fall is still a mystery to me!!! Doh

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Picture is worth a thousand words....

Heres what they're doing in VA right now... Blackwater river, in an oxbow just outside of the current. They usually school like this here in VA this time of year, and back off from the laydowns and cover alittle bit, warmer water than in the current of the river, Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Fall Crappie can be somewhat mysterious... my question to you is has the lake turnover started in your area... Lake turnover is when the surface water temperature cools enough to make it heavier than the water below the thermocline. When that happens you will find that the Crappie have to move away from those creeks and deeper structure due to the turnover stirring up so much bottom debris that the oxygen can be depleted.

Sorry I just reread your question and see you are fishing creeks off the river.... so disregard this answer
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic34726_4.gif

My blog attempt at www.Crappieinfo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Percidae_Papermouth View Post
    Heres what they're doing in VA right now... Blackwater river, in an oxbow just outside of the current. They usually school like this here in VA this time of year, and back off from the laydowns and cover alittle bit, warmer water than in the current of the river, Hope this helps!
    Thank you papermouth!! The only think that stinks about "searching" with the graph is that the creeks are so full of shad right now that my graph looks like that all the time. I think that is what is hurting me also is Ive kinda just decided to disregard what im seeing on the screen because of the amount of shad in our creeks right now........ But you are saying in your above post that they DO like the warmer water this time of year??

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Oxbows and creek mouths out of the current and in the sun are at 53-54 right now... the main river is at 50. but our rivers are probably ALOT smaller than yours. And our shad run is in early spring, Id try playing with your sensitivity on your fishfinder, i keep mine between 50-60% Biggest thing is staying out of the current.. I dont know much, but know what works for me. Oh and down current sides of bridge pilings works well for me, Hope this helps you put more slabs in your pan.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Percidae_Papermouth View Post
    Well, the Oxbows and creek mouths out of the current and in the sun are at 53-54 right now... the main river is at 50. but our rivers are probably ALOT smaller than yours. And our shad run is in early spring, Id try playing with your sensitivity on your fishfinder, i keep mine between 50-60% Biggest thing is staying out of the current.. I dont know much, but know what works for me. Oh and down current sides of bridge pilings works well for me, Hope this helps you put more slabs in your pan.
    Here is what my whole creek looks like right now with shad. Im gonna try again here sometime soon Ill post my results!!!! Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images