Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about a Crappie Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about a Crappie Guide

Planning on going out of state this month to try to find a 3lb crappie. Thinking about hireing a guide for a day although I will bring my own boat. My question is.....If I hire a guide would it be ethical to return to the same place or places where the guide took me to fish? Or, would it be ethical to ask for the gps settings of the area we would fish? We'll only have two or three days to fish and not knowing much about the lake a lot of our time would be spent searching. Thanks for any response.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably depends on the guide. I know that Jerry Blake at Action Fishing down on Greeson in AR will give you the locations. At least that was what I was informed when I planned a spring trip last year. Now he might have changed that too.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Ethical isnt the word to use in this situation, due to the fact that its a public lake, as long as you are obeying the fishing laws and boating laws your are fine. Asking for gps coords is something you can try, but I doubt it will get you far.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that is a question you should ask your guide. As far as it is right or wrong, that is on you. I personally think it would be un ethical to do this with the guide not knowing. Guides make there living at what they do. If you book a trip with a guide and then return to that spot the next day, That guide probally has someone booked for that day and are taking his lively hood away from him. Yes it is a public lake, but that guide spent time and money finding the fish and the hot spots and sinking brush. I understand that that guide can do nothing about it, I just think its kinda rude.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you will fish a big area and cover a lot of water call bigger or feelay in sippie tell them i said hay
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Or you can do like some do in fishing tournaments, you see them out there catching fish, you can just drive right up next to them and fish the same spot if you so desire. Your not going to make many friends doing this but you will catch fish. Again, all areas are fair game, so its up to the person.

I agree that, the guide makes money and depends on their locations for their clients, and I wouldnt want to harm that. But some guides dont mind telling you areas to focus on even if they dont take you out. You just have to let them know what your wanting and that you dont want to harm their buisness, then they usually open up a bit. Fish move around a lot, so what is working this week may not next and then you have to start all over and the guide is the one that follows them and already knows where they moved to.

Post Thanks / Like

didn't mean to open a can of worms, just lookin for a simple answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishawk View Post
    didn't mean to open a can of worms, just lookin for a simple answer.
    No worms opened i Don't believe. Simple answer, be honest and up front with your guide, or not you choice. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Yea no worms, just talking all points of something like this. There are different views of the situation for sure, and always will be. Do be upfront with the guide if you plan on keeping in good graces.

Post Thanks / Like

The polite thing to do is simply ask. The guides around here are great folks and enjoy getting to meet new people try their best to put you on the fish.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast