Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat/Motor regs. in Kentucky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat/Motor regs. in Kentucky

Does KY require you to have a motor registration. I used to live in Missouri, and we had to get registration stickers for Each motor on the boat. It included trolling motors too. Also, do I have to have a Fire Extinguisher in my 14' Jon boat?
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Waylonh ....

Quote Originally Posted by Waylonh
    Does KY require you to have a motor registration. I used to live in Missouri, and we had to get registration stickers for Each motor on the boat. It included trolling motors too. Also, do I have to have a Fire Extinguisher in my 14' Jon boat?
    You are only required to have one registration paper (boat and motor are listed as one item) ... and the "stickers" are issued with the reg paper (one for each side of the boat ... within 6 inches and behind/aft of the boat "numbers"). Trolling motors, kicker motors, etc are considered as part of the boat. ANY boat that has a gas operated engine, lantern, stove, or other "combustable fuel" apparatus (attached or on board) .... requires a fire extinguisher. You're also required to have a USCG approved personal floatation device for everyone in the boat. Boats over 16ft are also required to have a "throwable" floatation device, signaling device (horn, whistle, etc), bailing device, and a paddle. And, even though your boat doesn't "require" them .... it's a good idea to have them, anyway !! And you are required to have the registration paper IN THE BOAT with you, when on the water.

If you navigate Ky waters between Sunset and Sunrise .... you must have a green/red nav light on the front of the boat, and a white light on the transom (and it must be viewable 360degs - it must be higher than the rear motor). You are also required to have these lights on, while navigating at night .... and the rear "white" light must remain on, at all times, while you are fishing !! (the front red/green lights only need to be on while navigating)
    You may also have a "spotlight" (mounted or hand held) on board ... but, you are NOT allowed to have them turned on while navigating (at least, not the whole time) .... at least, that's what I've been told.

Stop in your local bait shop or Wal Mart ... and pick up a copy of the 2006 KY Sport Fishing & Boating Guide -- or check it out online at: http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/fishboat06a.asp
    Not all of what I've listed is in the guide .... but, is or has been a requirement or has been discussed on other fishing forums. Any questions you might have about any of the things I've listed, can be answered by the KDFWR Info Center .... 1-800-858-1549 (8AM-430PM EST) I just listed all the things I've come to consider as "required" equipment or regulations. .... luck2ya ... cp