PDA

View Full Version : Braid vs Braid with mono leader

mb4850
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
How many of you single pole jig fishermen use a mono leader or tie your braid directly to the jig?

Mike Andrews
11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
10# Fireline w/ 8# Seaguar InvisX but I'm experimenting with 8# Sufix Siege in place of the fluoro.

mduncan62
11-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Directly to the jig 100% of the time.

deathb4disco
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I always use a mono or flouro leader.

HLLeonard
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Had an experience this summer that convinced me that a leader is a good idea when fishing with braid.

89ranger
11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
What about braid for trolling

BigMack
11-03-2011, 06:50 PM
here's my sytem.
works very well very flexible.
20# braid, 4" mono leaqders.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/BigMack1618/004McDropSystem-s.jpg

mduncan62
11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Just curious, what is the point of the 4" mono? So you can break it off?

BigMack
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I've been perfecting this setup for the last 2 years.
I tried several lengths. 4 is the best. It doesn't tangle and yet the minnow has good ramge of movement.
36" off the bottom most of the year works too.Thumbs Up

BigRiverMarine
11-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Justa bottom bouncer rig. Duh!!! Got enough hardware there to open an ACE.

MEATGETTER
11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
both ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
11-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Directly to the jig 100% of the time.

X2 Stren Sonic Braid 8# 1# Diam No need for a mono leader single pole

CrappiePappy
11-03-2011, 10:37 PM
PowerPro 10/2 Hi-vis (yellow) braid for casting RR's & WB's ... tied direct to bait.
Spiderwire 20/6 (grey) for slipfloat rigging w/minnows ... tied direct to hook.

I'm of the "old school" opinion that the less "obstructions" (knots/swivels/split rings) I have, between the rod/reel & the bait, the better.

... cp :cool:

mb4850
11-04-2011, 05:36 AM
I've been using mostly 10 lb. pp braid with an 10 lb. florocarbon or 6lb. florocarbon leader. I'm just not sure if I need the leader or not. It's hard to tell no more fish than I've been catching lately.

genec
11-04-2011, 06:58 AM
tie fireline directly to bait ,use as small line as I can.

EnonEye
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree with CrappiePappy "I'm of the "old school" opinion that the less "obstructions" (knots/swivels/split rings) I have, between the rod/reel & the bait, the better."
I always tie direct to 10# braid with 1 exception... minnie under a bobber tie a snelled hook on.

yankee doodler
11-04-2011, 11:21 AM
8# braid down to 10' of 6# Spiderwire. Lotsa clear water up here tho.

Wood_Duck
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I just tie straight to the jig. I use to use Vanish Transition exclusively and this year changed over to braid since I can just pull the lure free w/o breaking off and having to tie a new one on. I started out with powerpro, castability sucked miserably, been using flourescent orange suffix with good success and can't tell any difference in catches of it vs. mono, and after leaving from drill last month I stopped at BPS and got some of the hi-viz chartruese(sp?) Fireline to try. All I use is the 10lb which has about a 4lb diameter. I have no complaints other than a slight hit in castability, although the suffix does alot better than the power pro and next week i'll see how the fireline stacks against the suffix. I know some people worry about it affecting the fish but I've never given it too much thought especially since i use to fish almost exclusively for catfish and they'd eat a hook if it had a logging chain for a leader without thinking. All my fish don't seem to care. I know I tried tying a worm to all different lines and throwing it in the aquarium with my pet warmouth and he didn't act like there was anything tied to his dinner or not.

no1son
11-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Old School here too pretty much tie directly to running line.

I carry multiple poles generally, one always rigged with 2# regular GAMMA (breaks at about 4#) or 4# GAMMA ESP ice, which is the same breaking strength and diameter as their regular 2#. That is specifically for tough bites. My regular presentation is on GAMMA 4# regular copolymer. In normal bites type of line is not so much a factor as the ability of the line to deliver the proper presentation with the size of jig and tail I am using, which is almost always 32nd oz with an inch and a half or two inch plastic tail of some kind. Color of line is not so much an issue for me either unless the bite is extremely tentative.

The only braid, if you can call it that, that I have had trouble with is Nanofil. My impression is that the size jigs I use do not give enough resistance to get a proper wrap on my spinning reels. Others have had less problem using only a top dressing of it over a more solidly wrapped type of line as a main filler, but I filled the entire spool and it performed miserably. The smallest sizes of other braids I have tried have performed very well, but I occasionally tangle with out sized bonus fish and like the little bit of added stretch of the GAMMA as a cushion, which is not as much as regular mono, not enough to inhibit line watching for sure. The clear GAMMA performs very well for me, and I only use other lines to keep testing for something that works better for me, and I have not found that yet.

Only in really tentative bites does braid versus mono really make a difference, same for line color. I carry the extra pre-rigged rod against that. I virtually always tie straight to the jig regardless of the line used. To me the real question is how the line performs with the jig I am offering.

On the ice it is different. I go down to 2# GAMMA ESP exclusively and rig up at home. These aging fingers do not perform well enough in cold weather to do a good job of tying knots especially on lines that I can barely see.

That is no problem for me during open water. Most of my lost crappie jigs come from cut offs anyway. I said that I normally carry a specially rigged rod for poor bites, actually I normally carry more than one spare rod and switch out presentations simply by switching rods when I change from hollow plastics to solid ones, tanged ballheaded jigs for the former and uncollared ball heads for the latter. I will generally have the very light line rig set up with an ice jig and that comes out if I downsize the plastic. I only fish one rod at a time, but nearly always have spare rigged rods along as alternatives and/or backups.

rocket rich
11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
stren gold braid, straight to the jig with a loop knot

flyboy2610
11-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I always tie straight to the line.

Sandwich Maker
11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Straight to the jig. Don't want to fool with tying extra knots anyway...........

Dutch552
11-06-2011, 01:58 AM
I tie the braid to the jig-haven't noticed a drop off in catch rates when single pole fishing.

jake_lusk
11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
i always use a floro leader. at least 4lb trilene floro. with 6 lb stren magnathin as my main line. i took my dad out today to teach him how i catch them and using my rigs we got 43 with only 2 under 10 inches :)

89ranger
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Straight to jig okay

Shoemoo
11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I use leader and a swivel. Lets me adjust the visibility of the leader to the type of fish I'm catching and the water clarity and prevents line twist. I use high quality ball bearing swivels. Since my main line is much heavier than the leader, I rarely lose one.