Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum - Lake Kissimmee

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Forum - Lake Kissimmee

I'm new to the forum. I grew up in Winter Haven, Florida, but my boyfriend is from Bentonville, Arkansas. He grew up crappie fishing with his dad and brothers around trees and such so fishing in most Florida lakes is different to him. We went to Lake Kissimmee last weekend and tried jigs with minnows near the grassline on the northwest corner of the lake. We had no luck at all so finally my boyfriend said, heck, I'm just going to show you how I know how to crappie fish. So we went back to the dock area and cast jigs (no minnows) over towards the docks and caught two crappie in minutes. But.... we had family waiting for us back in Winter Haven and had to leave around that time but at least we knew the crappie were there. Anyways, there was a guy that went out on his boat the same time we did and came back right when we were leaving and he had almost his limit and they were nice big ones. So we asked him about the crappie and he told us his tips and was very helpful. He was from Alaska but comes down every year for 4 or 5 months and fishes Lake Kissimmee and Lake Manatee (probably others but those were the ones he mentioned). So anyways we are going back out this weekend on Lake Kissimmee to try again and we can't wait! He said the crappie don't move to the grass line until Jan/Feb and now they are out deeper along the channel between where we entered the lake and a mile marker out there. So we are going to drift that course and drop the jigs down and then reel them up a little and see what happens. Wish us luck! I have been reading a lot of the posts and enjoying all the info. Hopefully will have some pictures to post this weekend.

Happy fishing to all!
    Ginny

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Alturas! Drifting is how most people do it around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Alturas! You must know where Dusty's Camper World on 60 is, right? My parents have a farm back in the land back behind there just off rifle range road. Small world. Well we will be drifting this weekend and will let you all know how it goes. Is there good crappie fishing closer to us? In the WH Chain or any of the other lakes nearby? It takes us an hour to get to Lake Kissimmee.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the area, I.m 3 miles back on alturas road. The winter haven chain can be fair to terrible. Crooked lake is a really good place to go, the ramp is at Bobs Landing. I like crooked because its deep lake, 20-30 feet deep. It probably be more like lakes in Alabama.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from cleveland county,ar. home of meatgetter jigs!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
    I have been reading a lot of the posts and enjoying all the info.
    Don't forget to check out the Florida forum:

Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the family and good luck
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I hadn't found the Florida forum yet so will go there for sure. Crooked Lake is the one we were considering before deciding on Kissimmee so maybe we will go there Sunday, unless we have a good day on Kissimmee on Saturday. lol. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Crooked is a good choice it ha some pretty deep holes in it to some nice fish in there
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Welcome from Texas

Put your ears on and you find some good stuff in here.
    Read the sicky on top. (Knots & rigs) lots of pages but full of good stuff.Thumbs Up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast