Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiderwire braided

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spiderwire braided

I just picked up some spiderwire braided 10# line today, im excited to use it this weekend, ive heard alot of people talking about the added sensitivity, my question is this, ive never used braided line before so is there any precaustions i need to take such as, spooling my reel, line fraying, line twisting, etc.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Braid is great stuff. You won't believe the sensitivity. Better use a leader though. And you MUST cut back on your hookset. Braid don't stretch so if you use your usual hookset, you will loose a lot of fish by pulling the hook out. Experiment. You're gonna love it.

Post Thanks / Like

i think suffix and power pro is two best bradied lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used just about every brand of braid for a couple years now. You shouldn't need a leader, you'll get used to the hookset real quick. It won't take long and you'll be feeling bites and landing fish that you may have not been able to get in with mono. Yanking fish out of timber, cedars, etc. becomes a lot easier. I don't think I could switch back to mono, especially since I don't have any at home or in the boat. Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a winner to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you put a mono backing on your reel first or it will become loose overtime but overall it is some great line.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go to a smaller size and if your rod is medium heavy or more ,I would back down to a lite medium for crappie.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie1024 .... yes, there are some differences & concerns that need to be taken into consideration when using braid.

A lighter hookset or backing off on your drag.
    Not using a rod that has cheap metal guides.
    Spooling your reel with cheap or leftover mono before adding the braid.
    Purchasing some Fiskar Child size scissors to cut the braid with.
    Having something, other than your hand, fingers, or rod handle, to wrap the braid around for pulling hooks loose from snags.
    Spooling the line on "tighter" (under more tension) than you would normally do with mono.
    Understand that wet, limp braid is more prone to "tip wrap" than mono ... and is more prone to blow around in the wind, than mono.
    Realize that it has it's place, but is not necessarily a "be all - do all" tool ... and that it has some downsides, along with its upsides (but, then what doesn't).

I use/have used two different braids, on two different outfits, for two different fishing methods. I have a 8' flyrod with a med sized spinning reel attached, that has Spiderwire 20/6 (grey) ... that I've used for slipfloat/minnow rig fishing. The Spiderwire is tied directly to the hook, with a Improved Clinch knot ... and, once tied on correctly, has never slipped or broken at the knot.
    The other is a 7' Bionic Blade IM8 rod, Med action, with PowerPro Hi-vis 10/2 spooled on a Shimano Spirex 2000 reel ... which is used exclusively to cast 1/16oz Roadrunners or a Charlie Brewer Whirly Bee. Both baits are tied directly, with the same Improved Clinch knot.
    Having used these two different braids, is why I have listed the suggestions above. And I would be more than happy to expound upon the reasoning behind any/all of them, if requested. But, understand that these are my opinions, based on my experiences and how I use them & what I use them on ... which may or may not translate to on what or how you would use yours.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks crappiepappy, excellent info, thats exactly what I was looking for! Now question about the scissors, do they have to be that certain kind?

Post Thanks / Like

You can get those Fiskar Child size scissors at wallyworld for about $2.oo or less, Great for cutting Braid, they cut real smooth.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast