Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How far do crappie "see" your bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How far do crappie "see" your bait?

I've gotten pretty hooked on trolling around the lake, looking for schools of crappie. Lots of fun, pretty relaxing and usually produces enough for a dinner or two. But one thing I've wondered about is "How far away do crappie see (or hear/smell/etc) my bait?"

I guess you'd called my water medium stained. It looks like there's lots of algae/plankton because you can't really see the brightest jigs beyond 12-18" deep. It's not muddy, just lots of mirco-plant life.

I read that crappie have some of the best vision of all fish (my, what big eyes you have!). From reading the posts by vertical jiggers I get the impression that you have to put the bait right in front of their nose. But when I'm trolling, how far do you think I can be from a crappie and still be able to interest him/her in my bait?

Post Thanks / Like

If you can see your jig at 18" the crappie should be able to pick it up from 3 feet away. To see a jig at 18" means the light has travelled down 18" and reflected back up to you another 18" through the water. That combined distance should be how far they could see the bait.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on water clarity, sunlight, etc. , etc. I think they can see further than we think. They cannot see down though so you always need to run your baits above them. I feel like from watching how deep they are on my fish finder and pulling crank baits 4 to 5 feet above them and catching them that they can see further than we think.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I think they feel vibrations (swimming actions) also, maybe before they see it at times

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13