Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Patoka Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Lake

Heading out for Patoka lake tomorrow afternoon. Any reports to give. Water temp, color or anything. Will be there until probably Saturday afternoon if we can get a camping spot. They will not take reservations yet. Hate to pull the boat and camper all the way over there and not have a spot to camp. Should not be to busy I hope.
    Mike
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Conditions

I am heading down tomorrow also. I have friends who have been there since Saturday. Big Patoka and Little Patoka Creeks are stained and in the low 60's. I talked to them last night and they have not been doing very well in the stained water, but are marking a lot of fish. The clear water areas do not seem to be holding any fish. I would not think there would be any isssues with getting a camp site this time of year, Doesn't Crappie Usa have a big tournament Saturday out of Newton/Stewart?? This could make your ramp decisions an issue, in other words stay away from N/S unless you want to see the weight in!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Lake

That is where I usually lauch from. Wouldn't mind seeing the weigh in but don't want to find the traffic. Hopefully the warm weather we've had the last couple of days will help out.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Update

My buddies called last night, they had 21 keepers in Painter and the water temp hit 62. Painter is a lot clearer than than most of the creeks. Good luck I am outta here!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hoosier Hills Marina in the Lick Fork Section of Patoka is where the past few CrappieUSA weigh in happened. Did they change it?

I'll be that a lot of guys won't launch form the North and South ramps of Newton Stewart since it's on the main lake and the crappie are in shallow water in early April at Patoka (normally) I'll bet that a lot of the competitors may drive to Walls to launch from there. It's too far from the main lake to the upper reaches of the Patoka River area and that route is full of submerged timber and there is a 10 mph speed limit on the lake. The DNR CO's enforce this speed limit with a radar gun. So if you don't want to contribute 100 bucks to the Orange Country Court house fund you won't be speeding though this area of Patoka Lake. And I'll be that there are a lot of DNR Conservation Officers out on the lake that weekend especially for the Crappie Tournament.

I talked to a guy that fish the lake last weekend and know that the lake is at 538ft right now according to the corp of engineers web site. My friend told me that the tops of tall submerged trees are just under the water's surface and it's very tricky and dangerous running up in the upper reaches above walls boat ramp this year. So be careful and go slow if you are not familiar with this area. Would not want the CO to pull your dead body out of the lake if you hit a stump and get run over by the boat's prop as your boat flies past you. And have you ever tried to swim in 65 deg water? Water at 75 deg F is cold to me. Water is not comfortable to swim in until it reaches the upper 70's. And even at 65 deg F water temps you can still be in trouble if you are injured and can't get back into your boat. Hypothermia can set in at this water temp although not as quickly as when the water is below 50 deg F.

Quote Originally Posted by INBA Basser
    I am heading down tomorrow also. I have friends who have been there since Saturday. Big Patoka and Little Patoka Creeks are stained and in the low 60's. I talked to them last night and they have not been doing very well in the stained water, but are marking a lot of fish. The clear water areas do not seem to be holding any fish. I would not think there would be any isssues with getting a camp site this time of year, Doesn't Crappie Usa have a big tournament Saturday out of Newton/Stewart?? This could make your ramp decisions an issue, in other words stay away from N/S unless you want to see the weight in!!!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Lake

We stayed in the campground until Saturday afternoon. Fished most days in the mornings and evenings. Caught a lot of fish but no size. Launched at Newton Stewart and mostly fished the other side of the 145 bridge. Did not try for anything but crappie. Tried tubes, small cranks and minnows. Like I said caught a lot of fish but mostly small. Water temp was around 63 degrees in most areas so they may not have come up yet. Had a good time anyways just being on the water. Might try again this weekend. The water was still a little muddy in most areas I went but I didn't go far from the ramp.
    I'm not really much of a speed demon Moose so I don't usually have to worry to much about stumps. I have been stuck on to many to count so I always take it easy.
    Mike
    Mike Perry