Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gps-Jerry Blake

crappie cowboy(old) Guest

Default gps-Jerry Blake

Jerry,thanks for your help,but are you saying that your Gerko 201 will not get you as close to the brush piles as the Legend? The gerko 201 looks
    as it would be more simple to us.How close will the 201 get?
    Thanks........Crappie Cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie cowboy
    Jerry,thanks for your help,but are you saying that your Gerko 201 will not get you as close to the brush piles as the Legend? The gerko 201 looks
    as it would be more simple to us.How close will the 201 get?
    Thanks........Crappie Cowboy
    Hey Cowboy,

The Legend will scroll down to a smaller coverage area on the screen, but I don't think that makes it any more accurate.

The Geko and the Legend will both put you both right on your brush pile every time. If you get a Geko be sure and get the 201 or 301 as the 101 is not WAAS enabled.

One big advantage with a handheld unit over a boat-mounted unit is when the water is low you can walk around and mark cover that you can't get your boat to and will be out of sight when the water comes back up.

Garmin makes mounting brackets for their handheld models but I made my own out of an old plastic cutting board and some Velcro - works fine.

FISH ON!

Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Holders for the Handhelp units

Hey guys:
    I purchased one of the holders for the Vista and Legend units. I used velcro on the bottom of the plastic base and then put some velcro on the truck dash and also on two spots on my boat. I can take the holder out of the truck and put it on the boats stearing console or the front bow of my boat.

I prefer to hand the unit around my neck at times. That way I have it when I need it.

I purchased one of the cigarette lighters power cords also and I recommend that for when you are traveling long distances. I can plug the cigarette power cord into my boats power supply in either location and the truck has a cigarette lighter right next to the mounting position.

Make sure that if you use one of those holders than you also wrap the units lanyard around something solid to keep the unit from falling out of the boat. I wrap the lanyard around the steering wheel in the boat and around the front navigation light when it's mounted on the bow of the boat.

I also purchased on of the carrying cases but found that it's not easy to see the screen though the plastic cover of the carrying case. Especially at night. The hand held units screens are so small and at nighttime it's hard to see the map on the Vista. You can adjust the backlights timer and also the contrast but you have to be in the right mode before the contrast adjustment buttons work. The zoom buttons work as the contrast adjustment buttons when in the right mode.

I started out just putting a small patch of velcro on the back of my carrying case and then some velco on the dash of my truck. It worked fine for holding the unit in place but I could not adjust the unit's position. With the new holder I can adjust the unit 360deg around and up and down so that I can actually see the screen while moving. I like that and recommend it. If you put the unit in the large number mode you can actually see the screen.

One thing to make sure of is that you can see the WAAS satellite. The Vista and the Legand units will tell you it you are seeing the WAAS satellite and they also show you the accuracy of the unit in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Cowboy,

The Legend will scroll down to a smaller coverage area on the screen, but I don't think that makes it any more accurate.

The Geko and the Legend will both put you both right on your brush pile every time. If you get a Geko be sure and get the 201 or 301 as the 101 is not WAAS enabled.

One big advantage with a handheld unit over a boat-mounted unit is when the water is low you can walk around and mark cover that you can't get your boat to and will be out of sight when the water comes back up.

Garmin makes mounting brackets for their handheld models but I made my own out of an old plastic cutting board and some Velcro - works fine.

FISH ON!

Jerry
    Regards,

Moose1am