PDA

View Full Version : Night lites

EnonEye
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
We've been having some great success this fall after dark using green lights and coleman lanterns over the side of the boat. Just wondering if there's any conventional wisdom on how deep to sink the green lights? We're fishing shallow water (5 foot) so not sure it'd make any difference and right now we're placing them just below the surface and it seems to be working just fine but always looking to fine tune:cool:

barrelslime
10-31-2011, 01:31 PM
My ? about night fishing is this, do you pick a random spot, above a brush pile, near structure? Lots of folks talk about night fishing, but rearly tell the particulars about whats going on.

EnonEye
10-31-2011, 02:12 PM
My ? about night fishing is this, do you pick a random spot, above a brush pile, near structure? Lots of folks talk about night fishing, but rearly tell the particulars about whats going on.
I've been targeting them for only 2 years now but I look for current (to bring them in), nearby deeper water (traveling lanes) and lilly pads (cover/food) nearby. That combo has been working at night. Though it's not easy doing the night fishing thing it seems to be when the big boys are out cruisin. Don't have a 17 1/2 incher though. What'd you catch that on, a 12" walleye?Thumbs Up

barrelslime
10-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I was actually bass fishing with a blue and yellow 1/2 oz Strike King spinner bait. He was a monster. Thanks for asking.
Iv got a spot on a local lake that I think would be good. Just off the main lake, over brush. In about 7 feet of water. Guess I'll never know till I try it. I thought night fishing for crappie was a summer thing.

"G"
10-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I tend to night fish ancored down either in the mouth of a cove or off of a point on the main lake. I suspend my green lights 4 to 5 ft. deep. The lights draw in the baitfish and the baitfish draw in the fish. I fish my baits just outside of the light ring. I use Reel-Lites......I use the 612 LED size.....bright light and very low amp draw.

Crappiegirl1
10-31-2011, 11:42 PM
We've been having some great success this fall after dark using green lights and coleman lanterns over the side of the boat. Just wondering if there's any conventional wisdom on how deep to sink the green lights? We're fishing shallow water (5 foot) so not sure it'd make any difference and right now we're placing them just below the surface and it seems to be working just fine but always looking to fine tune:cool:

I have mounted under the rub rail on my 20 ft pontoon on both sides and front "green led" lights. i do not have to sink anything. works great! if you want pictures ill post them.

EnonEye
11-01-2011, 06:49 AM
I was actually bass fishing with a blue and yellow 1/2 oz Strike King spinner bait. He was a monster. Thanks for asking.
Iv got a spot on a local lake that I think would be good. Just off the main lake, over brush. In about 7 feet of water. Guess I'll never know till I try it. I thought night fishing for crappie was a summer thing.
Not a summer thing for us. We start in October and right now it's in its prime. We came off the lake at 11PM on Saturday and the air temp was 35, just gotta dress WARM.

brianj
11-01-2011, 06:57 AM
I have mounted under the rub rail on my 20 ft pontoon on both sides and front "green led" lights. i do not have to sink anything. works great! if you want pictures ill post them.
Would love to see the pics

Crappie 1
11-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Getting pretty cold here in Northeast Michigan to be night fishing. We did quite a bit of it this summer and had some luck. I use Reel-Lites a#612 green and a #712 green. It's fun to watch all the stuff that comes to the lights..

fishfinder8
11-01-2011, 07:23 AM
I use white lights and hang them about a foot below the surface. This way my lines will not get tangled in the light cords. I fish over humps and never over brush piles. Because I don't want my lines getting up in the brush. I anchor from the bow and the stern to hold my boat in place and let the lights bring in the bait fish.

EnonEye
11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Well looks like the answer is anywhere the lights shine on the water, above the surface, at the surface, just below the surface and 5 feet deep all work. "Crappiegirl 1" I've seen the pics of your rig before on here and it's quit impressive. That would be about the ultimate. I'll bet that gives you plenty of good light inside the boat to work by also yes? How'd you mount them, double sided tape or something more permanent?

hairy lures
11-02-2011, 09:31 AM
If you want the very BEST night fishing light, get a 'HYDRA-GLOW'. I think they were originally designed for salt water, but they work very well in fresh and DO draw fish! I don't know how many walleyes and crappies I've taken over the years, but its gotta be in the thousands! A completely sealed GREEN 48" fluorescent tube that suspends with just the sealed line connection out of water. The power cord plugs into my lighter socket, and draws less juice than your locater and it WORKS! No bug problems, and it will last for many years. I finally replaced the one I originally bought almost 20 years ago (don't laugh, I actually ran over it with the truck) and the new one is even better. I think it is a little brighter. I truly believe HYDRA-GLOWS are the very best fishing lights made. Look the site up on Google.

Bob # 1
11-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Would suggest that if you are fishing that shallow, is to get some clips to mount your light under the rub rail.
Wont work with halogen bulbs as they get to hot.

Or you can let the light down under the water 1' and the light will mushroom down and out about 4-6'

Here are the clips referring to

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/BobGlen/Business/boat-2bbb.gif

Crappiegirl1
11-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Wildcat Lighting's Boat Kits (http://wildcatlighting.com/boat.html)

trying to post my led pics, but having a time getting them on, will contact slab to see why

Crappiegirl1
11-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Wildcat Lighting's Boat Kits (http://wildcatlighting.com/boat.html)

trying to post my led pics, but having a time getting them on, will contact slab to see why

also follow this link ************************** Wildcat Lighting, LLC** (830) 387-4154 - WCL Home (http://wildcatlighting.com/)

89ranger
11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I use a generator until I find something love the generator

Crappiegirl1
11-03-2011, 05:02 PM

OK here are the pics a few more if you want, any questions, feel free. ************************** Wildcat Lighting, LLC** (830) 387-4154 - WCL Home (http://wildcatlighting.com/)