Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night lites

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night lites

We've been having some great success this fall after dark using green lights and coleman lanterns over the side of the boat. Just wondering if there's any conventional wisdom on how deep to sink the green lights? We're fishing shallow water (5 foot) so not sure it'd make any difference and right now we're placing them just below the surface and it seems to be working just fine but always looking to fine tune

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My ? about night fishing is this, do you pick a random spot, above a brush pile, near structure? Lots of folks talk about night fishing, but rearly tell the particulars about whats going on.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    My ? about night fishing is this, do you pick a random spot, above a brush pile, near structure? Lots of folks talk about night fishing, but rearly tell the particulars about whats going on.
    I've been targeting them for only 2 years now but I look for current (to bring them in), nearby deeper water (traveling lanes) and lilly pads (cover/food) nearby. That combo has been working at night. Though it's not easy doing the night fishing thing it seems to be when the big boys are out cruisin. Don't have a 17 1/2 incher though. What'd you catch that on, a 12" walleye?Thumbs Up

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually bass fishing with a blue and yellow 1/2 oz Strike King spinner bait. He was a monster. Thanks for asking.
    Iv got a spot on a local lake that I think would be good. Just off the main lake, over brush. In about 7 feet of water. Guess I'll never know till I try it. I thought night fishing for crappie was a summer thing.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to night fish ancored down either in the mouth of a cove or off of a point on the main lake. I suspend my green lights 4 to 5 ft. deep. The lights draw in the baitfish and the baitfish draw in the fish. I fish my baits just outside of the light ring. I use Reel-Lites......I use the 612 LED size.....bright light and very low amp draw.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnonEye View Post
    We've been having some great success this fall after dark using green lights and coleman lanterns over the side of the boat. Just wondering if there's any conventional wisdom on how deep to sink the green lights? We're fishing shallow water (5 foot) so not sure it'd make any difference and right now we're placing them just below the surface and it seems to be working just fine but always looking to fine tune
    I have mounted under the rub rail on my 20 ft pontoon on both sides and front "green led" lights. i do not have to sink anything. works great! if you want pictures ill post them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    I was actually bass fishing with a blue and yellow 1/2 oz Strike King spinner bait. He was a monster. Thanks for asking.
    Iv got a spot on a local lake that I think would be good. Just off the main lake, over brush. In about 7 feet of water. Guess I'll never know till I try it. I thought night fishing for crappie was a summer thing.
    Not a summer thing for us. We start in October and right now it's in its prime. We came off the lake at 11PM on Saturday and the air temp was 35, just gotta dress WARM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiegirl1 View Post
    I have mounted under the rub rail on my 20 ft pontoon on both sides and front "green led" lights. i do not have to sink anything. works great! if you want pictures ill post them.
    Would love to see the pics

Post Thanks / Like

Getting pretty cold here in Northeast Michigan to be night fishing. We did quite a bit of it this summer and had some luck. I use Reel-Lites a#612 green and a #712 green. It's fun to watch all the stuff that comes to the lights..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

I use white lights and hang them about a foot below the surface. This way my lines will not get tangled in the light cords. I fish over humps and never over brush piles. Because I don't want my lines getting up in the brush. I anchor from the bow and the stern to hold my boat in place and let the lights bring in the bait fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast