Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type and size rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type and size rod

I'm wanting to start crappie fishing and have 2 pflueger medalist fly reels. do i need to get fly rods or will any rod work? what's a good length?

Post Thanks / Like

my gee hard question, I started out with zebco 33 and zebco rod,,, and have fished everything they come out with,,, check out some of the threds on here, read as many with rod/reel in the title,,, them fly rods are ok I have an old split bamboo was my great grandpas and it worked well for a few trips, now I have a gloomus 781 and it works great, I also recemond any lightweight light action rod, just remember to read as much as possible and get to the fishing store and ask questions, and maby get a buddy that fishes and see what he or she uses.... good luck

Post Thanks / Like

That question depends on how you are gonna fish for them, minnows, jigs etc? I use 5 1/2 to 6' ultra lights to cast jigs and road runners and I minnow fish with 11' Wally Marshall Pro Signature rods and then I use some 12' for spider rigging. I'm sure with a little more info you will get all the info you need! I almost forgot, Welcome to the site from Alabama.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle Man is right, it depends on how you want to fish, the threads will help guide you through it. I mainly cast jigs and prefer a 7 foot light action spinning rod.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

for vertical jig fishing i use a 11ft and a 12ft "crappie getter" jig pole made by america rod smiths. for spidder riggin i use 14ft. capps & coleman trolling poles.
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool go usgly

well, it posted twice,.
    Last edited by BigMack; 10-30-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Go Ugly

If I were to replace one of my 8ft Pro Angers I would go with
    Ugly Stick;s new Lite Series 7ft6.
    I outfitted s couple of friends with them and they are quite happy.

Post Thanks / Like

10 footers r great for vertical and pitching trees and stumps.good luck!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Invertedn04 .... are you wanting to "fly fish" for your Crappie ?? If so, then yes ... you'd need a fly rod. If you just want to use the fly reels to fish with (other than casting) ... then you can use either a fly rod or spinning rod. A baitcast rod "would work", but it would be awkward to use.

If you're intentions are to tightline, vertical jig, or troll ... you'd probably want the rod to be at least 7' long. If using a spinning rod with these reels ... I suggest getting a spinning rod with a Tenn handle, since you can mount the reel at the balance point a lot easier on these type handles. Fixed reel seat type handles would work, but you might have to actually put the reel on the rod (at the store) in order to see if it balances with whatever rod & rod length you choose. This is especially true if you intend to do much "pole in hand" fishing (like vertical jigging). Too much weight on either end & the rod/reel becomes cumbersome & wears on your arm/wrist ... which usually results in less time used.

If you intend to "fly fish" with your outfits ... I suggest posting in the Fly Fishing Forum, so they can give you their opinions on what lengths & weights of fly rod to use.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i'm wanting to use these reels for vertical jigging and pitching trees,stumps,etc. so any 10 to 11 foot rod would work as long as the reel would mount on the bottom? does the reel have to go all the way back like on a fly rod?reason i'm asking is fly rods or at least $100 or would a spinning rod set up work for this type of reel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast