Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My Favorite way to Cook them Slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Favorite way to Cook them Slabs

The first thing you have to have is on of them old bread bags made out of cloth, not sure exactly what they are made from but my old granfather gave me a few. You use that bag to crush up saltine crackers into a fine powder, once that is done you add alittle pepper to the cracker powder. From here all you need is some eggs and milk mixed together to dip your slabs in before covering them with the cracker powder, once you have them covered in cracker deepfat fry until they float, no need to salt because the crackers take care of that. My mouth is watering now!
    Last edited by nickmeyer; 04-11-2006 at 08:18 PM.
    Crappie Fishing Is My Dream Job!!!

Post Thanks / Like

this is so weird that you posted this because at my last fry I ran short on fish fry...So I crushed up crackers...I think the best thing would be to run them thru some king of metal sive or strainer like about the size of a screen and like you siad get it into a real fine powder. The fish turned out fine and tasted pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

That's how my mother always fried pork chops. Darn tasty. She just put the saltines in a pastry cloth and rolled them fine with her rollng pin. Any time I use cracker crumbs, I do it the easy way - in the blender. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait
    this is so weird that you posted this because at my last fry I ran short on fish fry...So I crushed up crackers...I think the best thing would be to run them thru some king of metal sive or strainer like about the size of a screen and like you siad get it into a real fine powder. The fish turned out fine and tasted pretty good.
    Sometime I like to use Ritz Crackers it gives it alittle different taste, when I am wanting something different but not to different.
    Crappie Fishing Is My Dream Job!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A GREAT post on my next catch I am going to try this, I think this is the way that my Grandmother fried our fish. I had known she used some crackers but never watched her cover the fish... Thanks to all!!!
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, we use the large thick ziplock bags. Just leave a little hole in one corner so the air can get out and roll with a fruit jar or rolling pin.

The pepper in the cracker sounds good and I will definetly try that soon.