Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gettin' Jiggy With It

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gettin' Jiggy With It

Alright fellas, I've got a single pole jigging question. I started using this tactic about a year and a half ago and have fallen in love with "the thump." I've always used 4 lb Hi-Vis Mr. Crappie line and small plastic jigs in the 1/64-1/16 oz range. I have caught a lot of fishing doing this, but I been reading alot of posts and watching a lot of videos and see alot of folks using Braided line. I really like the idea of having that extra sensitivity.

My question is what kind and lb-test braid does everyone use? I purchased some Spider Wire in 10 lb test (2 lb diameter) in Hi-Vis color, but to me it just shows up way too much under the water. I also purshased some Invsi-Braid by Spider Wire in 15 lb test (4 lb diameter) to try, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Does anyone tie a fluorocarbon or mono leader on the braid? Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!
    Hooking up every chance I get!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buster .... while I don't "get jiggy with it", the same way you do .... I do use 4lb mono & 10/2 PowerPro braid in hi-vis, when casting jigs for Crappie. I use no leader material, tying directly to the bait with either line. But, understand too that I don't fish "gin clear" waters. But, the waters I do fish may sometimes have a couple of feet of visibility (thru polarized sunglasses) ... yet I still catch Crappie from there. They're just usually at least a couple of feet deeper than one can see down into the water. I have experienced having Crappie come up into the clear, following my bait (& sometimes taking it) ... and even had them chase down a Roadrunner that was less than 1ft deep & right beside/under the boat, even though I was using hi-vis PP braid.

With all of the "stuff" that's down there (broken lines, moss strands, etc) ... I don't think the fish give the hi-vis line much thought (as if they could "think" in those terms Doh ). IMHO ... when fish are spooked, it's more likely the result of various other conditions/situations than it is line color. I'm also of the opinion that what you have on the end of your line, is more important than the color of the line.

I'm also of the opinion that hi-vis line is instrumental in allowing me to see the slight line movements that indicate a strike, under most lighting conditions ... whereas, with clear/blue lines, I'm not always able to, which can result in missed opportunities. This is especially important to those of us that cast, or shoot docks ... and those with less than acute vision.

Braids do come with some different approaches that one needs to consider. You'll probably want to back off your drag a bit, or use a softer action rod, if you can't train yourself to ease up on your hookset. The lessened stretch of braid translates to a harder, more powerful hookset ... which can rip right thru the lips of a fish that's just mouthing the bait. A little drag slip lessens that possibility, but is still strong enough to cause the hook to penetrate the roof of the fish's mouth ... should they take the bait all the way in.
    You'll also want to purchase a pair of Fiskar for Child Size Scissors (usually only a couple of dollars) .... for cutting your braid, as it gives a good clean/blunt cut on the tag end, which makes it much easier to put thru the small line eye of your small jigs.
    You'll also want to have a wood dowel, towel, or something to wrap the braid around ... other than your fingers, hand, or rod handle ... when the situation calls for pulling on the line, to free a snagged lure. Braid can & will cut you, as well as foam or cork handles. (trust me, I know Doh )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I also use Power Pro 10-2 in high-vis yellow. I really like it and crappiepappy gave some good info in his post.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st year with braid and I'll never go back. I use a 10lb high vis orange, 25 foot leader on mono backing. Love the sensitivity, the thump, also being able to see the line moving out when night fishing a dead jig. Bends the hook off brush n logs and such too. Have had a lot of fish hit roadrunners right next to the boat with no issues of the line color visabiltiy scaaring them.

Post Thanks / Like

i use power pro 15lb hi vis yellow and suffix in 10lb in orange if i am fishing clear water i use a 6lb leader 18-24in long,when i am fishing stain water i tye on the braid and use a fas-snap!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 8lb Berkly Vanish Flourocarbon. Since most of my fishing is verticle as deep as 12' the 1/8 oz leasdheads I use help keep in contact to feel the thump.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Stren Sonic Braid Hi Vis 8#test 1#diam No fluorocarbon or mono leader.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

10# Fireline w/ 8# Seaguar InvisX leader.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use 10/2 Power Pro as well as Invisi-braid in same size.

One thing if you start using it stop jerking to set the hook and just lift it since there is no give in the line and keep you drag a bit less.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses guys! This is exactly what I was looking for. I agree with Crappie Pappy about the importance of seeing the line "twitch" and that's why I wanted high vis. Glad to see yall haven't experienced any decrease in bites due to the high vis line!

Thanks again guys.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast