Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabama rig

For those of you who don't know what a alabama rig is - check out FLW Guntersville tournment. Paul Elias won the tournment with 102 lbs on 20 fish. Very hot lure your going to hear more about as to its legality. The reason I bring it up here; do you think downsizing it to 2 inch grubs would make a hot bait for crappie and white bass on lakes with shad?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to an article that shows the rig. I thought striper people already fished similar rigs.
    Alabama romp unveils Alabama rig - FLW Outdoors Bass Fishing News
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-26-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Striper fishermen use a bigger rig (called a umbrella rig) for trolling. The Alabama rig is for casting. They're using seven foot flipping sticks with 65 pound braid. Once they catch on they'll realize that the musky rods for casting big plastics will work better. Just wondering how this would work on white bass and crappie when they are feeding on small shad?

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen em trolled for stripers and bluefish, could not imagine casting and retrieving that bait all day long. His forearms must look like hickory truncks. Don't know about pulling that downsized for Crappie. Try it and check back in with us.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's too big of a presentation for crappie. Maybe in the spring when they're less picky, but I'd think that big wire frame would scare 'em off. Plus, it's all about mimicking the shad, so it's likely just a seasonal fad that will fall out of popularity soon enough.....my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this type of rig for striper fishing, but they're not legal in Tenn.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

We're only allowed two hooks or baits here in MA. Not sure I'd ever be inclined to use a rig like that in freshwater, regardless. Appears to be very cumbersome. And if he loaded it with the 3/4 oz. jig heads like the article says, he'd need a musky rod to handle the weight, I would think anyway! Not my cup of tea.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have never figured the bass guys would have allowed a rig with more than 1 lure per rod...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure but I was thinking they made a rig like this illegal in Kentucky for this year. (maybe Tenn.) I thought it was in this years rules and regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

There used to be a smaller version of this thing for panfish. Maybe still out there. I bought a couple four or five years back. The law in TN then was you could have only one hook on the rig. So what happened was that I would put just plastic baits with a weight that matched the jig on all the drop lines but one and it would have the jig. The one with the hook was supposed to hang futher down than the rest and look like a straggler from the school. It was a pain to cast so I used it spider rigging along with regular set-ups. It was still hard to get to work right (speed effected it different from the others etc). I caught a few fish but it didn't seem to work any better than the regular set-up so I quit using it. This was by no means a scientific study, so if anyone feels the itch try the thing after studying their state regs go for it. In theory it sounds great, but then the theory that you get smarter as you get older really sounded good when I was 40. At 68 I'm beginning to wonder.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast