Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where are the big ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where are the big ones?

I'll do my best to describe the area I'm fishing. The lake is approx 90 acres in size. 3/4 of the lake is around 4'-5' deep with a few areas that drop out to 15' deep. The shallow areas are weed filled and the deeper areas are barren of any structure except one area that has a little rock but not really worth mention. I have been catching tons of smaller crappie 7"-9" in the shallow areas but none of the larger crappie(2Lbs) that I know exist there. The water temp is at 55 degrees. Should I be looking in the deeper areas or on the drops
    or are these fish up in the shallows and I just haven't figured out how to trigger them? Any help would be appreciated. As a side note the gentle sloping spots that go into the barren deeeper area's is where I plan on putting my fish condos soon. Would this be a good spot for them?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Chris ....

I'd venture to guess that the bigger fish are out on the deeper weed line edge. At 55deg - the water temps aren't quite high enough to bring them in real shallow. But, they should be in the prespawn mode, and looking to feed. Maybe the weeds are too thick for the bigger fish.
    I think the condos would be best placed right where you intend to put them ... but, I'd also place a few close together, out in the deeper water. Even one placed on that "not really worth mentioning" rocky spot, wouldn't be a bad idea. It would enhance that spot, if it weren't already a draw to the fish ... and if they already use it, on occasion, a condo would help keep them there, longer. And on those barren slopes ... run your condos from shallow to deep, rather than along parallel to the weedline. This will maximize their choices of depths to stage on the condos in. .... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pappy, I'll give it a try this Easter weekend and report back.