Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H-e-l-p!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question H-e-l-p!!!!!

finally got out to truman today to do a little crappie fishing. had 4 nice fish after about 40 mins of fishing and so i just had to move to a "better" spot. to make a long story short.....i hit a stump and cracked the bottom of my boat. i need to repair this myself because i don't wish to miss the spawn. can someone tell me how? step by step would be nice. i have lots of tools.
    what materials do i need? etc. etc. etc.

thanks so much ahead of time.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Bw- Do you have an aluminum boat and how bad or how long/ wide is the crack?

Post Thanks / Like

it's fiberglass. not sure of the size of the crack/hole. it's hidden by the trailer support. i'll have to raise the boat to get to it. not even sure how i'll accomplish that at this point.
    any ideas??

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry bwillaub, never done any fiberglass repair...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a fiberglass repair kit at auto part stores, Im pretty sure they have them at walmart too. There is a glue you put on and then a sheet of fiberglass. You will have to read on the package about the drying times in between layers. Then it could be sanded and painted if you wanted. I will have my husband get on here tonite or in the morning when he gets home from work. If you need more specifics he can help you. He used to do paint and body work and a couple summers ago had to fix his dads boat from the same thing. So just let us know. He also has a pretty good idea on how to get the boat off the trailer.
    Last edited by gater; 04-11-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey gator what unit are you and/or is your husband in. I was at LRS for 3 years, been gone about the same.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappiencali
    My husband is in the 509 AMXS here at Whiteman. We have been here almost 2 years. Where are you coming back to in MO? You are getting back at a great time for the Crappie. I bet its killing you to get back out on the lake. We were at Truman last weekend and will be at LOZ this weekend. Good Fishin to ya

Post Thanks / Like

i appreciate the info gater. i live here in knob and work on the base. would love to talk to your hubby about my little problem.

thanks again.

bob

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the damage, you may have to do some of the repair from the inside of the hull. Last time I stumped up in a glass boat, the damaged area was just glass and no support or stringer. Had to glass in a piece of marine grade 1/2 plywood to make it strong enough in that area to repair. If you take it to any good boat place with a good glass man, he could tell you and you can judge wheather or not you want to try it.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

gater and calif, spent some time on Whiteman myself, several years ago! going to loz this weekend also. see you there maybe. Unforunately I was not part of the blue, i wore a purple suit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast