Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: vertical jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default vertical jigging

hello, do you guys move the jig up and down constantly or let it sit still?

Post Thanks / Like

The only movement I might make is a VERY slow reel up from the bottom as I try to find the depth they're holding at. Then I'll mark that depth on my line, or hand pull them up so I keep the same line depth, and let it sit as still as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

i let it set as still as possiable for a few seconds then flick my wrist so the jig rises and falls if no bite then i swim it away to the next target!!! you will just have to try different presentations to see what the fish want that day and the next day they may want it different .just try and learn something every time you go and go as much as you can !!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I try to hold my jig as still as possible. If I move any at all it's horizontal. Once in awhile I tap the rod with my fingers.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

I use my flutter minnow that has a unique tail flutter that moves with no arm or wrist action. If anything, once it drops to the fish's eyeball level, I twitch it very slightly and stop for 5 seconds, then move it 5 inches sideways and repeat. In semi clear shallow water I've seen fish inspect the bait, follow it and then suck it in on the pause.

Tubes are a different story. The action is usually a more up and down hops with pauses.

Post Thanks / Like

A very nice set of techniques, if one doesn't work you move on through the set until one of them clicks. I will add a long, slow rise of maybe or 5 feet followed by a just slack line settle back down with maybe a five second or longer pause at the end. Most of my success comes on vertical movement broken up by pauses, but sometimes horizontal is the key. Like Whitemeat I normally start on the bottom if there is no attention during a full settle all the way down. I am looking for the layer and whether there is bit going up, on the settle or during the pause. ALWAYS pay attention when you start any kind of movement at the end of a pause. It is always amazing how many crappies are just there at that point. Always pay attention period; when jigging the little baits, bite can be incredibly soft, even when it is fast.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGETTER View Post
    i let it set as still as possiable for a few seconds then flick my wrist so the jig rises and falls if no bite then i swim it away to the next target!!! you will just have to try different presentations to see what the fish want that day and the next day they may want it different .just try and learn something every time you go and go as much as you can !!!!!!!!!
    What Meatgetter said x 2
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

In the spring I'm moving up and down aggressively, fall I'm sittin still with a little twitch now and then
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish it down, the pick it up... fishing it down I stop it every 6" to 1ft. many time the fish are at different depths or if you catch a few then they seem to go deeper. But most if not all the bite I get is on the fall or as soon as it stops.

Ever caught a fish and didn't feel it bite or hit then you just past the fish and or are dropping the jig to fast. thats why I fish it all the way down on tight line not letting the line go slack.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Cool give em what they want or hate

They will let know by not biting one way or the other.
    Don't waste time by only doing one thing.

take a look at my post in here
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ing-learn.html

Thumbs Up