Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down image or side

Post Thanks / Like

Default Down image or side

Which is best for crappie. Ordering boat and deciding on graphs. Hummingbird has SI or DI. Now lowrance has both. Or is just hd and gps good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Humminbird 718 with 20 And 60 degree beams that can show the bottom area at same diamater as water depth. Have been looking at the HB 570 DI but do not like the smaller beams of 16 and 25 degrees which will only show an area equal to 1/3 the water depth. If I could afford it I would have the side imaging.

Post Thanks / Like

get a HB that has both, they both come in handy and you want be sorry later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Goofy1 & Minnowtime : you both need to look at this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi...7-ci-help.html ... specifically, the post showing the different beam angles/shapes of DI & 2D units. Thumbs Up

SI units are also discussed in that forum (though not in that specific thread).

As far as which is "best" for Crappie fishing ....IMHO - it depends on how you would use them, and how much $$ you want to spend on them. BIG difference in SI & DI, from what I can see. Best of both worlds would probably be a dash mounted SI w/transducer on transom .... and bow mounted DI w/transducer on TM. SI for scanning the area & pinpointing cover & fish relating to it ... then DI to stay on the spot. GPS &/or chartplotter comes with many units ... and SD cards can be added for maps with contours.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I can get the side image on console area and DI on front. That makes sense. Which units would be best for this? Thinking 9 series at console and 8 series up front maybe with DI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Goofy1 & Minnowtime : you both need to look at this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi...7-ci-help.html ... specifically, the post showing the different beam angles/shapes of DI & 2D units. Thumbs Up

SI units are also discussed in that forum (though not in that specific thread).

As far as which is "best" for Crappie fishing ....IMHO - it depends on how you would use them, and how much $$ you want to spend on them. BIG difference in SI & DI, from what I can see. Best of both worlds would probably be a dash mounted SI w/transducer on transom .... and bow mounted DI w/transducer on TM. SI for scanning the area & pinpointing cover & fish relating to it ... then DI to stay on the spot. GPS &/or chartplotter comes with many units ... and SD cards can be added for maps with contours.

... cp
    yeah he is right on, unless you can afford a si/di unit on the transom and bow, then you cant go wrong
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good question
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I find SI on the bow as an invaluable tool...for finding new structure as I fish...

Because I spend 99% of my fishing day at the TM...thats where I want my SI information coming from....

Each person has to decide where the unit will be the most advantageous to their own fishing style...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

if you can only have one SI unit i would prefer it to be on my transom, like we said earlier, that way you can ride around and find brush. If its on your TM you gotta lower it in the water and creep to find structure and cover. If its a huge lake with not much cover or structure and you got it on yout TM you may ride for hours b4 you find something you wanna fish, if its on your transom you can cover alot of water quick at a faster speed with your outboard and not kill your battery. Just my opinion, not a expert on em, I dont even have one yet, lol.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGETTER View Post
    get a HB that has both, they both come in handy and you want be sorry later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +1 agree I have the 798 csi hum and it was just a quick download off net (free from humminbird) to have both At times I have been know to use all three simultainously. sometimes you can get the best picture from comparing them all at once. a month or so ago I gave an example w/pictures on here ... I'll have to see if i can figure out how to insert a link back to that post ?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast