Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Advice on Rods for Casting and Jigging Spoons.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice on Rods for Casting and Jigging Spoons.

I'm wanting to buy a rod/reel combo for casting sliders and am not sure what length, action, line size ect. I'll need. I've never caught a crappie jigging a spoon in the winter but would like to give it a try. I'll probably be jigging 15 to 25 feet deep. Any suggestions on this set-up would be appreciated also.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Well its a preference thing like most things dealing with rod/reel combos along with line type. I would say a sensitive rod is a must, and no heavier than 8 pound test. Depending on where your fishing, I like light line as you get more action with it than a heavier line. But again it depends on the location and presentation style. Any cover at all in the area I would say use 8 lb test at least, so you can get the spoon back if it gets caught on small branches. But in open water you can use it or lighter.

If I am doing any casting at all I like casting reels versus spinning reels. Just me though. I like the control I have with a baitcaster reel. But match the reel to the rod with the line your wanting to use for the size of lure you wanting to use. All will have size amounts on them. Rod will say a line weight and a lure weight, start there and match to the reel. Rod needs a decent backbone that will give but not to much. B-N-M rods are good, as are others that people are sure to mention here, or in other rod threads that have been started here.

Good luck

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm more of a "dance with the one ya brung" kinda guy :o

Whatever outfit I cast with, would be the one I use to jig with. Now, with that said ... that particular outfit could be any one of a number of different lengths/styles/actions, from 5.5ft UL's to 9ft heavier action ones - and 4lb mono to 10lb braid. It would all depend on what outfits I "brung to the dance" Thumbs Up (which is usually 3-4 max, out of the dozen or so I have for Crappie fishing).

The weight of the "spoon" being used, would dictate the necessary equipment. So, if I was contemplating such an outfit, for the primary job of jigging a spoon in 15-25fow ... I'd consider a 7ft L-M action spinning rod w/fast action tip & 4-6lb mono, for spoons in the 1/16oz-1/8oz range -- and a 7-9ft M-MH action spinning rod w/fast action tip & 6-8lb mono or 10lb braid, for heavier spoons. I may even consider a fluorocarbon leader, up to 18" in length, when using braid .... since it is understood that fish can see better/farther/clearer in the colder water.
    The reel should be matched & balanced to the rod being used. And since the bite is mostly "felt", rather than "seen" .... hi-vis lines are less of a necessity.

... cp