Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Rod Guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rod Guides

HI, I am a shoreline fisher. I have some general questions about Crappie rods. I am looking to get a 10 foot (or longer) spinning rod for shoreline fishing. It seems like it would be great to be able to get near the tree stumps and brush areas while standing on shore.

Why do Crappie rods have small guides and/or what purpose do the small guides serve? The guides I have seen on Crappie rods are all the same size, and small. I like to use a slip bobber with a bobber-stop. It seems like there might be a problem with the bobber-stop getting through the small guides. I would like to be able to cast with a spinning reel too. Wouldn't the small guides interfere with casting?

I guess for my purpose I need a long Crappie rod with spinning guides (large guides near reel and progressively smaller toward tip). With a little research I have discovered the B'n'M "All Purpose Crappie Wizard". It looks like it will do what I need. Are there any other rods similar to this, either from BnM, or from other mfgs that have progressive sized guides?

Thank you.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

B & M Rods

Buck’s Graphite Jig Pole
    This is a good one for what you have described!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie wizard, bnm gold, outlaw, American spirit, and quantum has one
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I like my BnM Gold.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike ... I think the primary reason for the small to really small guides, is simply to keep the overall weight of the rod down, plus help keep the weight of the upper rod low.

And yes, you're right ... small & micro guides do inhibit the use of slipfloat setups.
    And no, micro guides won't interfere with casting ... unless you have a bobber stop on your line. Otherwise, with just a bait tied on, the guides won't hurt a thing.

I use weedless jigheads, whether casting from shore or boat ... so, getting my jig into tree stumps/brushpiles (& back out again) is not a big issue. I use 5ft to 9ft rods, for any distance ... and don't vertical jig or use a float, much ... so my situation is a little different than yours. The Crappie Wizard rod is a good one, and you could also look at Float-n-Fly rods, & Noodle rods of various mfg's.

... cp