Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville brush piles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville brush piles

Has anyone fished the brush piles that is on the list of gps points that Burtons has on their list? How old are they? What depth would be the best bet this time of year?

Thanks
    jigin4abigun

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished a few, but have had better luch at the bridges & standing timber 8-12 feet down.

Post Thanks / Like

when you say standing timber what are you looking for? Isolated timber or clumps of timber? or rows of timber? In how many feet of water?

thanks
    jigin4abigun

Post Thanks / Like

I did well on the other side of camp branch to the left where the trees are. Also by the power line cement pillar. 15 fow down 8-12'. Blue & White, Chartreuse & Black Entyzer Jigs were the go to colors. I didn't use any minnows. The fish are starting to head to the banks in the shallows. Picked up a few but a little deeper was better. Hard to say now that the water temps will be dropping nicely. I'll be out there friday morning and will post how it goes then.

Post Thanks / Like

RHill and I have been hitting one pile in the cove on the southeast side of W bridge, the coordinates are listed on Burtons site. We've done good with minnows the last 2 times out in October but were picking them on jigs too before then. We're heading out on Saturday and will probably put in on the camp branch side since you can't go north of W. Skeeter, thanks for the tips, look forward to your report on Friday and Rhill and I will let you guys know how we do Saturday morning. We're not too familiar with the Camp Branch side, we'll probably hit the brush piles by the Collins road bridge if it's not too windy.
    Scott - KC Northland

Post Thanks / Like

Hey All.

JoeDog and I hit some of the piles today. We had our best luck on those to the east of the Collins Rd bridge, but due to the nasty wind it was very tricky keeping on them. We also hit several other piles on and off Burton's list and found the ones nearest the Collins Rd bridge produced the best. It was far too windy to even try the cove to the SE of the westernmost W bridge.

BTW, Joe it was great to meet you. I enjoyed fishing with you. Next time let's pick a day that's a hair less windy!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Good job guys, catching fish on a nasty windy day is always a plus and shows your perseverance or hardheadedness one.Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Both I think. Or irrepressible positive attitude.....

BTW, you noticed I didn't say how MANY fish we caught.....OR how BIG they were.

Post Thanks / Like

Headed out in the cold in the morning, my partner cancelled, if anyones interested in tagging along message me, I'll check messages and this post in the morning. I'll be launching at the W launch at 7a.m. in a white Skeeter!
    Last edited by skeeterxs170; 10-20-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added information

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embo_9 View Post
    Hey All.

JoeDog and I hit some of the piles today. We had our best luck on those to the east of the Collins Rd bridge, but due to the nasty wind it was very tricky keeping on them. We also hit several other piles on and off Burton's list and found the ones nearest the Collins Rd bridge produced the best. It was far too windy to even try the cove to the SE of the westernmost W bridge.

BTW, Joe it was great to meet you. I enjoyed fishing with you. Next time let's pick a day that's a hair less windy!

Bruce
    Nice meeting you too, Bruce. Indeed a pleasure. Hope to do it again minus the wind. It was tough staying with them, hence the low yield. It'll be better next time, I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterxs170 View Post
    Headed out in the cold in the morning, my partner cancelled, if anyones interested in tagging along message me, I'll check messages and this post in the morning. I'll be launching at the W launch at 7a.m. in a white Skeeter!
    I think you might've picked a better day for it! The wind should be a bit milder for you, anyway. Water temps on the main lake were around 63°. Not sure what last night's cold did to that, if anything? Looking forward to your report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast