Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I may be old, but I'm new

Post Thanks / Like

Default I may be old, but I'm new

Hell-o to all you long time fishermen.

My family moved to Savannah Tn. 4 years ago & I recently took up fishing as a hobby. We live 10 miles from Pickwick & because we have a large family with grand kids to consider, we bought a pontoon to take everyone out when they come to visit.

It's an older 80's model & has fishing seats & a trolling motor mount on the front. In the past year I've taught myself how to back the trailer, launch & retrieve the boat (alone, mind you). Considering I'm 55 & arthritic, that's not too shabby. We have been mostly bass fishing with plastics, & I'm fairly adept at casting, but haven't done any crappie fishing until this fall.

I was hoping to find someone who fishes Pickwick, or the tail waters below the dam who could give me some pointers. Where to find them in the fall? Warm days? Cold days? How to rig up my lines, what sort of jigs to use when it's sunny, or overcast. That sort of thing.

My 14 year old son is mildly autistic & has some pretty severe expressive speech problems so making friends is very difficult for him. The great thing about fishing is words aren't required & it gives us time to get outside together. If the fish aren't biting he plays captain, steering the trolling motor or firing up the engine & pushing us off to another spot to hunt for fish. The boat has an older fish finder that I'm considering upgrading, but it seems fairly accurate.
    Last week my son caught a really nice sized crappie & is showing renewed interest in the sport, so I need pointers guys, I need to keep him excited about being outside, he needs time away from computers & gaming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MM

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're on the right track with your Son, Welcome from Alabama!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team