Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat motor problem, need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat motor problem, need help

I need yall's help. I've got a 74 model Johnson 25 hp. Has been running real good up until a couple weeks ago. One day it ran like a top, the next day ran like a 5 horse. In neutral it will turn the rpms up but in gear it won't. And wide open it seems about like 1/4 throttle and every now and then sputters like it is trying to come to life. I have checked the plugs, both giving fire, checked the fuel filter its clean, getting gas and sending gas to the carb. Linkage is advancing all the way, and I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb. Didn't help a bit. Anybody got any ideas? Hate to spend 60 bucks an hour for a mechanic. If it was 20 I wouildn't mind, but 60 is hwy robbery. Somebody help a poor boy out.Thanks

3Gd

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

does it have points???
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 9.9 Johnson and yesterday it did the same thing you decribed. I fiddled around with it four an hour on the lake. Come to find out the choke was pushed all the way in. I pulled it out halway and...wallah! she came to life. Try messing with your choke...sounds like that is the problem.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had the same problem to a 1977 35HP Evinrude. The high thottle passage in the carb was the culprit. Rebuilt the carb and it purrs like a kitten under load. The carbs are easy to do, not much to them.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That spray carb cleaner does nothing for a carb except to clean the throats. You might try running a can of Sea Foam thru it. Most auto parts stores carry it now. That is really some fantastic stuff.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't comment on your fuel tank and fuel line. I'd also check those. If any of the connections to the motor/from the tank are old and even a little cracked, I'd replace them. This is easy with a external tank. If they are not able to hold a seal, you won't get good flow to the motor and all the other places you already checked.

Good Luck.

PS (I learned this the hard way)...If you replace a fuel line, make sure you install it according to the arrow on the bulb. The bulb only allows gas to flow one way. I caught the error pretty quick but I still felt pretty dumb.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice slabbatical,Als o check & see if the bulb from the tank is sucked in flat.I've seen them do that.While you are running the motor pull out on the choke alittle at a time,If it seems to help with the chock out then it's almost a sure bet that the Carb's are trying to clog up.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you aint found the problem yet look for the high speed (air) jet on the outside of the carb. I was missing the low speed jet and mine did right the opposite. At low speed it sounded like it was gonna choke down. (Mine's a 2 cyclinder 50 hp and sounded like it was running off 1 cyclinder.) At high speed it did fine. On mine, the (air) jets are on the side of the carbs. I was looking and seen what looked like a screw missing on the top/side portion of the carb. The one under it had a brass like bushing in the screw hole so I knew then what was missing. Good luck straightening it out.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your carb have 2 air/fuel adjusters? My '72 20hp johnson has an idle adjuster and a cruise adjuster. I was told mine had to be adjusted w/ temp changes ect., but Ive found a where it likes to run and I dont mess with it. It does run bad if out of adj. I also have a problem at times not wanting to get going and plain out ; I think it gets stale gas in the bowl. You might check your gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Do Not Use Carb Cleaner On A Two Stroke Carburetor!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast