Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Harney 10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Harney 10/17

Went out to Harney this morning. In the water at 7:15. The ramp was a little challenging for a novice like me, but managed it without drowning or losing anything. Went up to the northeast corner where I had my first catch previously. Stayed out until 2:00 and only caught one 12". Missed one other as he got off before making it to the boat (I am sure it must have been huge!) Tried long lining and spider rigging with beetle spins and regular jigs tipped with minnows. I don't know if it's me or the lake, but I think I will try Monroe in the morning if the weather cooperates. Any advice to get me in the right direction over there would be appreciated.

OOPS, Got this in the wrong place. Can someone remove this?
    Last edited by pberry; 10-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

your ok, on your beetle spins were you using silver or gold spinners..............
    I have found on some waters down here they will respond to gold more than chrome
    try a 00 or 01 blades spinner................put on your own jig....using 1/16 or 1/32 jig
    curley tails work the best..........pumpkin seed, black/chaut or blue/chart.
    hot pink maybe black in color with pink tail....

long line speed sometimes is crucil............9 - 1.0 good starting speed, go up from
    there on couple passes, or down depending on where you start. always give it a
    little to check affect on curley tail.

distance back from boat on long lining...........spead out distances 25 - 35 - up 50 ft

wgt of jig is big time.... i usually work only with 1/16's sometimes to 1/32nds or
    maybe double up on jigs.......1/16 on top - 1/32 below.................

you didn't mention anything about spider riggin, hence, you are searching for spec's
    and marking locations................

run contours 5 =- 6 - 7 - 8.....sometimes i work deep to shallow on contours
    black crappie love to stay real, real close to weed line (hydrillia) when long lining,
    don't overdue number of rods out...........work with what you can control........
    once you start to long line, never stop the boat even when you take the hit..........
    reel, land and continue......(also mark location)

enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

I have (or should say had, cause I lost them today) silver beetle spins. I will replace them with gold when I get to go out again. I rig them with 1/16's and yellow curly tails. They sure seemed to like them on Monroe today. Caught 5 and missed 3 others (2 of them took my beetle spins) after the beetle spins were gone, I could not buy a bite. Will try some of the colors you mentioned when I go to get more spins. I used the speed and distance info you suggested and I had a bite almost right away. I am running 2 rods out of a Gheenoe

Thanks for the info, it was sure more fun catching them today than just cruising around the lake!

Post Thanks / Like

your more than welcome..............have a Gheenoe and only run about 4 max rods
    out of it on long line - 2-10's and 2 - 4.5's..................

spider rig - go with 6.......mostly 10's & 12's..........not much room to move around
    in.......... close quarters reduces options ..

have found stained water - they like Gold better..............
    experiment with blade sizes...........00 - 01 - 02's vibration and impulse strikes
    are what your taking - not familar with Monroe, however, during weekdays, i have
    been told - the big ones are up in the river. I-4 above. In the lake, most work
    area over around a power plant................