Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Knots and such

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knots and such

I know there is a section for knots, but I would like to make sure this is out in 'real time'. I am too new to this board to know all the ins, outs, whys, why-nots, and 'put it over here's yet, so bear with an old fisherman (probably too much bait on the brain by now). I see some talk about loop knots on jigs. That is absolutely the BEST knot for allowing freedom of motion. BUT, it is also the weakest knot of all of them, in most cases. That said, just be careful about how much pressure you apply to the fish when using that knot. Other than that little issue, it works fine. However -- if your jig head's eye is placed to far to the front, the loop knot is not going to hold the jig level. In that case, you need a tight, snug knot that you can slide to the very back of the hook eye to get as much weight forward as you can. In most cases, these little tips only apply if you are verically fishing the jig on a set amount of line and a long pole. When casting and swimming the jig back, the knot is really immaterial, except for strength. ---------- NOW -- I don't sell knots, so don't get me on the wrong end of this next comment. The strongest knot tested in the North American Fishing Club in their 'Knot Wars' TV segment was the 'Porter Knot', shown some where here (if I can post the pic). It is called that name by default, in that it was a hybrid, no-name knot based on a couple of simple existing knots that have been around forever. All it is is a Clinch Knot (or Improved Clinch Knot), but before tying it, the line is first doubled. The Clinch Knot hybrid is for lines 10 lbs and up (below 10 lbs test, the Clinch may slip due to line size and the small surface area to grip); the Improved Clinch Knot hybrid is for anything under 10 lb test. Again, double the line first (as a side benefit, this also gets rid of that frayed section just above the last lure that was tied on). Now, roll the loop end of the doubled line between your fingers until it become small enough to go through the hook eye. Then, complete tying the knot per a normal Clinch/Improved Clinch. The single factor that makes these knots so strong is the doubling first. Compare it to holding a full bucket of water with two fingers around the handle; one finger gets tired and fails, the other finger holds the bucket until you see the failure and re-tie. BE SURE not to confuse 'doubling' the line with just puting the end of through the hook eye twice. It has to doubled first and that doubled piece put through the hook eye once. This doubled line knot is supported by TWO independent loops around the hook eye. The other is ONE continuous loop. If that one breaks anywhere, the knot fails. Pictures, left to right, clinch, iproved clinch, Porter Knot. If you can't see them well, send me a message and I will email or try to send you something larger.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-17-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Jim Porter

'A dry jig catches darn FEW crappie!!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickmarsh View Post
    It is called that name by default, in that it was a hybrid, no-name knot based on a couple of simple existing knots that have been around forever. All it is is a Clinch Knot (or Improved Clinch Knot), but before tying it, the line is first doubled.
    In his book The Ultralight Angler, Mark Feldman refers to it as a "double clinch". He learned it from an Eskimo guide in Alaska.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool All Hail King Palomar

Top of the forum page "Knots & Rig Dwgs" is full of info like you need.
    Palomar is the King of knots. That's all I use for everything.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Here's more:
    Fishing Knots | How to Tie Fishing Knots | Animated Fishing Knots

Real Knots: Knotting, bends, hitches and knotcraft.
    Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you dont want a strong knot. I like for a knot to give when it hits too much resistance ie. brush or mammoth gars and muds when im trolling. Having one rod out of commission is better than having multiples out. I would rather lose a jig or hook rather than have a FUBAR while longlinein or spiderin with multiple rods.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.