Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are sit ins really that bad? Or Sit ons are really that good?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are sit ins really that bad? Or Sit ons are really that good?

Just like everyone else starting my quest for a kayak, still trying to determine which model to get SOT or SINK

All I want to do is dock shooting in the spring/fall and thought I had narrowed it down to a sit in, but just keep seeing the posts about how good SOTs are. I dont do a lot of summer fishing in Alabama, kinda hot.

My concerns with the sit on tops is the water and temps. Just thinking sit in would be dryer and warmer. But still dont understand why everyone is so pro sit on type. Maybe my application is different, using around docks in slews off the river. Am I thinking wrong with the SINK?

I will keep reading the previous posts, but if there is anyone that can help set me straight I would appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

The pros of the sit in are drier,warmer,and lower center of gravity. Cons are harder to enter and exit with waders, can fill with water if turned over. I dont own a sit in but my buddy has the ascend 10' and only complains when we fish the creeks and have to get out a lot because of low water or fallen trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your good at rolling with a loaded yak or want to learn, a SOT is easier to remount should you flip. Its also easier mount accessories such as rod holders, ff, ect.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you try a few of both styles out before you buy. You know what will work better for you than anybody else. Most of the SINK that I have used would be difficult to shoot out of. With either type it is hard to shoot straight ahead (bow is in the way). SINK is more difficult to sit/twist sideways. Also the higher cockpit gets in the way and forces me to dip my lure holding hand out (balance issue) and way close to the water (dipping elbow in water).

The Jackson Coosa is very dry for a SOT due to its high seating position (no seating in a puddle). Although the high seating position is a disadvantage on windy days. I assume the soon to be released Jackson Cuda will also be dry but with more speed (due to longer length). Another advantage of the Coosa seat is that tackle is stored underneath the seat, rather than having to twist behind you to get to a crate.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter how many people like their sot's or sink's. It matters how you plan to use your kayak and what style of fishing you do. I have 2 sot's and love them for my style of fishing, but I also plan to buy a sink as for my fleet.

Post Thanks / Like

dont over think it.

if your serious about crappie fishing you'll quit the plastic navy and get a real boat.
    just kidding.

keller check your pms.
    God bless America

Post Thanks / Like

sit on top all day. you can mount plenty of rod holders, depth finder, gps, ect., on it with no problem at all. i take my sit on top every where. fresh, salt, and catch everything from bream to sharks in it. im takin it next week to the james river to get some more nice blues( biggest in a kayak is 58.7 lbs)( biggest in boat 101.4)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello my name is crappiedan im from mississippi and i have a sit in type of kayak and i love the fact that im dry and all my stuff is dry i have a hummingbird fish finder and one rod holder for my extra rod.it's great for small pond a lazy calm lake and rivers,although i never been on a body of water that was moving very fast via currents and would think it would be hard to stay stable in fast moving water---dont plan on doin any white water stunts anyway, i have used a sit on top on a river trip we took back in june the few rappeds that we did encounter made for a cooling moment. But i guess if you where wearin waders that a sit on top would be best,that way you could slip right of tie up your yak and do some wade fishin once your in shollow water.check out u tube on the subject i foud a lot of good advice from folks that have posted the ordeal on u tube. Anyway thats my story and im stickin to it---lol as always have a crappie day

Post Thanks / Like

You can check to see if a kayak outfitter near you has days where you can test run the yaks. When I was stationed out in Va, I was able to test drive about 10 different yaks before I settled on a sit on top. I usually stay fairly dry on my yak, unless the winds are more than 15 mph, and then I get some splash coming over the bow. I'm a deer hunter, so Im unsure how to use this for duck hunting. I do know my yak stays dry, is stable, and has plenty of room for storage in different hatches. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the many things I like about my SOT is that on a hot day I can turn and sit sideways on the 'yak and fish, put my legs in the water, and cool off. You can't do that with a SINK. Oh - and I then rig my anchor on the other side of the boat, so the drift has me facing the area I want to fish with 180 degrees of cast-and-retrieve freedom without have to steer my retrieve around the bow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast